1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

picked up a holeset hx40

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by ashford, Jan 31, 2011.

1. ashford

i got ahold of a holeset hx40 off a cummins 8.3. about what size of engine would this work good on.

2. amnima

What size wheel is it? Size exhaust housing?

3. svojohn

You'll need 2 of them for a V8. :D

4. 302f150

5. ashford

the thing is smaller than i thought. it came all taped up on a junkyard motor that i changed. measured 60mm inductor and 65mm exhaust outlet. so basically too small for a mild v8 and too big for a 4 popper?

maybe i can put it on my pickup- stock 351 f150 e4od trans

6. Drac0nic

That would be fun. We had someone make 400 to the wheels with a 35/40 hybrid so I don't really think for a stock to stockish engine it's as bad as made out to be.

7. BlownShovel

x2 as it all depends on your goals and application. Heck, they make enough power to split a stock block :(

8. ashford

i have a s400 75mm for my drag car im building and just ran across this turbo. the sad part is i just got all the parts from the machine shop with hyper pistons to build a mild 302 for my falcon :doh: also i have a friend looking to upgrade his turbo on a 2.4 in a dodge shadow but i think it will be too laggy for him.

on the other hand i could possibly put it on my pickup, its main duty is for pulling a trailer and driving in snowy conditions.

9. amnima

I have one on a 4 cylinder detroit feeding a supercharger. Works good too!

10. 302f150

How many blades does the compressor have? I have an 8 bade 60mm inducer feeding my car, no dyno results yet but it pulls hard all the way through the gears. The 6 blades are good for around 550hp on the map, and the 8 blades(58 mm inducer) are supposed to be good to around 470hp. There is a 7 blade that is good to somewhere in between also.
    [​IMG]#ad

11. 68mustang

i ran an hx35 on my 68 mustang, 5.0 stock motor, ran great, prolly around 400hp

12. testchimp

68mustang which turbine housing was it 12cm 16cm? What rpm did it spool and what rpm did it run out of breath? Thanks much.