1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

T66 compressor cover questions

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by Enginerd, Sep 18, 2013.

1. Enginerd

I have turbos I bought years ago 2nd hand. They were supposedly custom made hybrids with HP66 compressors and F1-65 turbines. I have measured and verified that these are indeed the wheels I have. The units had T3 housings machined out to accept the turbines. I dumped those and put on T4 housings.

Looking at the compressor covers, it appears that they are small covers (3" inlet / 2" outlet) that have been machined to fit over the HP66 wheel. The standard housing for the HP66 is a 4" inlet/2.5" outlet.

Would I see a benefit from going to the bigger compressor housing?

I'm making about 1200hp at 30psi.

Thanks

2. mcj50

I would give Jose a ring to discuss.

3. stevieturbo

It does seem that fitting smaller covers does reduce the efficiency or airflow of the actual units.

Most race type covers, or even most Borg Warner units that perform well, all have huge volutes. So there must be something in it.

But I'd say many are happy to sacrifice a little in order to actually be able to fit them into confined spaces.

Whether you'd need a new backing plate or not might be a problem though.