1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Pick Me A Aftermarket Management System

Discussion in 'EFI Tuning Questions and Engine Management' started by ssomustang50, Sep 16, 2010.

1. ssomustang50

im lookin to tune my na combo in sig & wanted to learn to do it myself w/out it being too expensive & too complicated. I might build a 302 or 351 base turbo motor in the future & wanted to use the system for that too,was lookin to make 1000+ HP. What u guys think,heres my options

1) AFM PMS
    2) AEM EMS
    3) BS3,FAST,ect

2. yellowpony

You can download the software for the fast and bs3 to take a look at and get an idea of what it is all about, not sure on the aem. Since you are going to be tuning this yourself, I would highly recommend the bs3 or fast systems, they are user friendly, and there is a ton of help to be going on them should you run into a problem. The pms is a good system, just with your future power goals I would lean more towards the fast, bs3, or aem unit. Also Holley has a couple new ones out that offer self tuning features, may want to look into them also.

Anthony

3. turboventura

I've been looking into the holley system myself, i have the software and it seems pretty user friendly. Fast makes a total kit that's really nice too.

4. draggsxr1000

Ms2 plug and play. U even get a free map. I'm really impressed with mine.

5. turbofreek

I wouldn't touch an aem is my life depended on it. Lots of issues I've read about and no satisfactory results on warranty or service to customers.

6. 96b.boy

mega squirt :2thumbs: you can't go wrong with either a ms 2 or 3x .

7. 10secgoal

Yep, search under the name "4Jenna"

8. ssomustang50

whats holleys system called? hows it compare?

9. yellowpony

I think its call dominator EFI.

Anthony

10. turboventura

holley has three systems, avenger, which is not touched with a laptop, just a small computer for basic stuff, similar to fasts' EZ EFI, also not made for boost. The HP EFI which is lap top tuneable and suited for boost. I forget how many I/O is available but this fits most performance minded people. The previous two are both available in a throttle body and in a MPFI setup. The dominater has a bunch more I/O, can run electronic transmission, has two wide band O2 sensors, and is also capable of drive by wire throttle, and 58X crank trigger (newer LS). I believe the HP can run 58X and drive by wire but not sure. Check out Mooreracecraft.com and the efi forum at chevytalk.org, i think the mod on that works for holley and has a lot of good ?'s and info about the holley stuff

11. ssomustang50

i didnt wanna spend a couple grand on something im not goona need right now & not know how to tune on. I see alot of people say moates,pms or ems. I just dont know enuff bout them to know what i should get. I have read bout all them but some stuff i dont understand. Help me out guys,teach me,convince me whats good to go with

12. 96b.boy

i'll try again megasquirt and use tuner studio's ve analyze it get's the tune going for you is very easy to use and is cheap ,my stang has never ran better it almost no it is better then stock and all i had to do was read set afew tables and drive it does the rest

13. Stangguy

I'll bite... I have run a couple of OLD fast bank to bank systems for years...the stuff that is out today has a lot more features, but it gets the job done. Long story short. I thought I would give something else a try. I got a good deal on a AEM 1400 box, and decided to go with that and the LS1 coils with a EPM. The set up looks pretty slick, But let me tell you. We fought with the system aaaaaalllll year! The AEM is really finicky and tempermental on its grounds. We could make it drive really nice, but then it would not perform at the track....Get it to perform at the track, an it would not drive well. We even had a couple different AEM pro's mess with the tune. To bring this long story to a end. I sold the AEM a couple days ago, and the FAST is going back on.
    I have had good luck with FAST and their service, I know a lot of guys run the Gen7's, and if you wanna spend big bucks go with a BS3

Just my two cents.

14. 64duece

Holley HP EFI will do what you need and then some. Aside from engine management...it will do your electronic boost control, has very nice internal datalogger (2 gig) and will plug n play with TFI/MSD Ignition. There are a bunch of accessories they have...5.7" Touch Screen and nice gauges that work directly off the unit aswell.

15. rwon

I think based on what you want to spend you should go with the megasquirt. You said that you will be tuning an NA combo which should be somewhat simple, it will allow you to get familiar with tuning and also this particular system. It's also cheap and almost infinitely expandable without spending a million dollars in the future. just my .02

16. CyanJaguar

i like the specs and simplicity of the holley efi at 1500 complete

if you want a more diy approach, the megasquirt fits the bill and does a lot of amazing things for only a little bit of money.

17. ssomustang50

anyone got prices and part #'s for me,so i know what im lookin at? Ill take a look at the megasquirt

18. 96b.boy

19. turboventura

If i had someone close to me that was good with ms id try it, but im just too intimidated by all the wiring and electronics to jump into it on my own, but i've never heard anyone say they had ms and didn't like it, but a lot of people do some serious head scratching along the way.

20. draggsxr1000

There is no wiring with the ms2 plug and play. Its 560.00. And all u have to do is unplug your factory computer and plug up your jumper harness. Takes less than 10 min. Its all inclusive all u need is a laptop. I just bought one I was a little Leary aswell. Nothing to fear at all. U will also need a wideband with a 5 volt output. Comes with a base map for a NA motor. I also have a Turbo map. My car drives like a sticker. If anyone needs some help let me know. PS I envy those who have the patients to build there on. I might try that someday. But for the price I wasn't about to try it