1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

permatex copper spray-a-gasket

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by bigdaddyvu, May 23, 2012.

1. bigdaddyvu

Anyone uses it and whats the pros and cons? thank for responding.

2. BreakDancer

Do a search there are a hundred threads on this topic. They all kinda go the same way some use it some don't.

3. XBRED1

I use it to coat my Copper Header and Head Gaskets I also spray it on any intercooler piping that has silcone hoses. It gets nice and Tacky and helps to ensure a good seal.

4. g80malibu

ditto use it here :2thumbs:

5. xr8tt

I use it on copper head gaskets, O ringed heads..

6. dfarr67

Use it if your surface finish is in question and you can't do anything about it. I used it on my Toyota alum head- no issues. I haven't heard anything BAD about it even if the gasket manufacturer says not to use sealers.

7. Disney Lincoln

I use it under my arms when i've had a stressful day.

8. Blak92

I actually got the OK from Cometic to use it. Had to replace the pass side gasket after lifting the head, numerous times, it fatigued the fire ring and it started to split allowing gasses from the cylinder into the coolant system. I did not resurface anything, it all looked good but wanted to be sure, so I sprayed both sides of the gasket. 300mi and so far so good after tqing the head studs to 110ftlb per ARP.

9. blown385

Copper spray will not seal combustion .

10. XBRED1

I have been using copper spray on my Copper Head Gaskets for about 5 yrs now NA and Boosted combos without any failures and Im running SCE Gaskets with like 3 coats of Copper Spray to each side. I dont have any O rings or Reciever grooves just the gaskets and Copper spray.

11. blown385

The spray is to stop water and oil from seeping . The gasket itself seals the combustion . Some guys will just smear a little stuff around the water passages and bolt them on dry .

If the deck or heads are not right , the spray will not fix a leak at the cylinder .

At least not for long .