1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

anyone drive through a puddle of water and get steam???

Discussion in 'DIY and Junkyard Turbo Tech' started by turbofreek, Nov 10, 2006.

1. turbofreek

it rain really bad today here and i hit a huge ass puddle of water. well after i got around the corner with the water i notice a huge steam cloud rolling out under the hood. anyone ever see this before? did it hurt anything? it smelt like antifreeze but its raining to hard to see :bang:

2. Cox Abele

provided that the car is not making additional noise, than everything should be ok. In ohio we are used to watching cars steam from underneath in the winter. Snow, or in your case water just splashes on the exhaust and flash boils. Unless you cracked an exhaust pipe due to the sudden cooling of the metal everything should be cool...you'd hear it.

The antifreeze is probibly from residue. Your overflow bottle has probibly overflown before, or some sort of coolant work was done. The water may have washed the residue away and burned a little.... no real problem.

Provided that you don't put your exhaust tip or intake (eg, vac lines, filter...) under water, your car can be pretty much amfibious.

3. turbofreek

yea my air filter and maf is right at the bottom of the fender/bumper area hangin out about an inch :( it didn't run any different but a little richer than normal. figured id sucked up a little h2o cuz of that but cleaned up after a few revs. and i just got my damn header re welded last night and installed from a hole in it. >:(

4. Valentino

Normal I go into water puddles all the time with my Ford F150 steam always comes out.It will be allright unless you hear noises then worrey about it. Rained bad here in Md also