1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

PCV valve on the Procharger inlet

Discussion in 'Carbination Lounge' started by jim wingo, Feb 18, 2011.

1. jim wingo

curious if anyone hooked up a PCV valve to the inlet, if theres to much suction-Procharger shows some routed that way
    under WOT the PCV valve doesnt work, no vacume, so the crankcase pressure has to vent thru the breathers-here some pics of my Frankenstien intake tube i built, it will duct intake air from outside the engine comp.-its 4", bigger than the inlet, but prob will be somewhat rest., but for street use should be fine-i was trying to fig how to hold it on the Procharger, i used a spacer, drilled and tapped the bracket, suprised it holds it real tight-also added an extra idler on the return side of the Procharger, worked out great, no tracking problems, and made a brace to help the bracket
    i'll have it coated with header coating, give some thermal protection from the headers-i was gonna weld in a 1/4" female, maybe see what the intake vacume would be-dont know if it would suck oil, could add a sep.
    engine cleaned up pretty good after the fire (oil line burned on the header, temp setup to test fire) i had to replace the D/S plug wires and seperators, but no paint damage, except to the car-but its under rest. anyway, so no big deal there, lol
    ya, its getting warm, and im running behind, should finish painting the int today, hope to paint the car next week and put stuff back together-3 car garage and i cant move with all the parts, lol
    [​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

2. sheldonw

im running a baffled grommet, and a catch can and it still sucks oil. i'm getting rid of it and goin to puke tanks

3. ss496

On my chevstang I run a breather line from the baffled valve cover to the intake elbow on the inlet of my turbo. I also have the PCV valve hooked up normally to my intake and other baffled valve cover hole. Works great for me.

4. Boost Engineer

The reasons why your PCV system works well is that you have basically a factory "Pull"-"Push" PCV System.

1) Having your PCV valve hooked up "normal" works fine IF you can use a PCV that seals whenever there is pressure in the crankcase. Some of the 4.6L Cobra 4 valve PCV valves would seal under boost. Check and see if your PCV valve will seal completely.
    When there is no boost, the PCV draws crankcase vapors from the pan and burns them in the engine. Fresh air comes in to the pan from your air connection at the Intake Elbow of the turbo. This is the "Pull" phase of the PCV strategy.

2) When the Engine goes into Boost, the PCV Valve seals and pressure builds up in the crankcase. That pressure now has to get out of the engine so it goes out the Baffled Valve Cover. If the baffles are designed properly the oil will remain in the engine and only high pressure vapors will move through the hose to the Intake Elbow of the turbo. The vapors will be burned by the engine just like when there is no boost. This is the "Push" phase of the PCV strategy.

3) The Keys to the whole deal are a) a PCV valve that will seal under boost, b) a properly baffled valve cover breather to remove the liquid oil.

Tom Vaught

5. jim wingo

years ago, i took some PCV valves apart, i take everything apart, lol, and the little ball inside had small veins in it-there are so many diff ones, i suspect from the factory they were made based on the part. engines vacume
    on a newer chevy truck, the PCV valve has no ck ball (i sus. maybe their for backfire?) just a tiny hole in the bottom
    back in the day when i ran roots blowers, i found using 2 breathers on the pass side v/c somehow stopped most of the crankcase pressure backup (after a couple fires going thru the traps from oil blowing thru the seals, lol)
    when i built my Procharged LS engine, i searched for PCV valves, some were robbing my engine of vacume for the brakes
    thats what led me to wonder if taking the pcv off the engine vacume and letting the Procharger inlet see if it would act as a vacume-i dont know if it would actually be to much draw and suck the pcv shut (or draw oil out)
    if it didnt, you would have a good draw even under boost (wot no vacume, the pcv valve does nothing)
    but then would boost flow thru the pcv valve if it didnt seal and back into the s/c intake side
    way to much coffee this morn, lol

6. Boost Engineer

Like I posted, I am pretty sure that the 1996-1998 Cobra 4 Valve PCV valves will hold pressure (without leaks) under boost pressures.

Most PCV valves as you mentioned are designed with a "controlled" variable leak inside of them. Typical cfm flow thru a PCV valve is 4 cfm, way more than enough to pressurize an oil pan to the point of gasket failure.

Tom Vaught