1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

parallel cooling mod

Discussion in 'Advanced Tech Section' started by jus1975, Apr 16, 2019.

1. jus1975

has anyone heard of a parallel cooling mod for ls heads.

2. 65ShelbyClone

They already are cooled in parallel. What are you talking about?

3. jus1975

Apparently it's a mod that adds ports to the back of the heads. Lines are run from the radiator to those ports. And you need special head gaskets for this. I've only found a few things in the vette forums about it.

4. Boost Engineer

Several of the Pontiac People (racers have gone to a "Dry Deck" cooling strategy.
    What is involved with this is that the water from the water pump thru both the block and the cyliner heads.
    The water flow does not go thru the head gaskets though. It travels thru the block and then up thru the back of the cylinder heads.

At this point, water can be removed from the heads at the rear of the heads, ar the middle of the heads, and at the front of the heads
    where it then goes to the radiator.

You can also have a reverse flow cooling system where you feed the heads in the above locations, then pass thru normal head gaskets and return the flow thru the block normal inlet points.

The first system is used with boosted engines and the second (reverse system is used with NA Engines.
    The first system would be like the Parallel system you asked about.

Hope this helps.

Tom V.

TTF/Ken likes this.
  5. Giddyup12

ill have to take alittle time to research this info sounds interesting as was just looking into doing some cooling mods on a cleveland style ford midland 400 engine 1971

just as a truck engine gas, carbed with a quadrajet off a 454 NA (not really sure what rod or piston combo or compression to go with but would be a stock cam origional spec hydrailic an what ever push rods an valve train i go with on these 107k mile 97 f250 5.8L heads on a cleveland style block.

also

have got e7 heads an have in mind to welding some steel to cast iron little one inch square in the front top of the block deck in each side then i believe the cooling an oiling of heads needs no other mods.

as from what ive seen on clevelands heads to fit on a windsor block they bore out the head front water cross over with a freeze plug.

if it would be better to machine the block an put a tap insert that maybe best but for initial i believe ill weld the steel block in there as thats more in my hands...

then being itll be a custom intake or really hoping to get a windsor intake an slice one side then weld some aluminum material to the cast to make it widder to fit an bolt on....which brings up cutting out the front windsor intake thermostate housing an sealing it shut

the the cleveland block has the thermostat housing above the timing chain meaty part of the block part

so for either using the 302 cast intake an welding aluminum or say i build it from scrap sheet metal for the water cross over in front of the head just leave that as a one channel way is what i plan ...then the rear coolant cross over is not used in most ford small block intakes i see.

does any of this apply to how i can modify the ford 351m with windsor heads for the reverse flow cooling system or second sytem you talked about there Tom V.

6. Tgbstang90

Yes, my head porter (Greg Good) just explained this to me yesterday and it is a MUST for any modded LS engine. SBFs should do the same too, but its just slightly different.
    You will need to run a different head gasket for this to work properly. Drill/Tap/Insert 3/8 npt port in the back of each cylinder head. Then from there run -8 and tee into other head into a -12. From there you would tie into the hot side of the water pump where you would have to drill/tap/insert a connecting point as well. The hottest part of the engine is on the back side of the combustion chambers (by the spark plug( and the cooling flow pretty much sucks on the LS platform. On a N/A setup a 10hp gain has been noticed when running a parallel cooling design, and this was a consistent gain! Not just a 1st pull on the dyno and then it disappears gain.

Now dont go thinking you can unplug the rear steam ports on the heads and tie those into the front ports thus accomplishing the same thing....there isnt nearly enough volume of water flow there to do squat for cooling. Those high priced steam port kits are a rip off.

To do the parallel cooling on a SBF, You need a different head gasket and most intakes have the rear ports on the back of the intake plugged up. Just unplug those ports and tie them into the Thermostat housing. Several pics online of this setup.