1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Overheating problem

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by crafty14lif, Feb 23, 2020.

1. crafty14lif

I have a 383 stroker with twin t3t4 turbos carbureted, and I can't keep it from overheating. I'm only putting 5 pounds of boost to it. I've tried retarding the timing and have the boost retard ignition box , new large aluminum radiator, and performance water pump. Any input would be helpful.

2. 91turboterror

383 what ford? Chrysler?chevy? How much timing? How much timing retard? Water pump turning the wrong way? Too small of a radiator? Bad radiator cap? Stuck thermostat?

3. Mnlx

Retarded ign timing can cause heat issues. When does it overheat, cruising, idling, wot?

4. crafty14lif

Only overheats when building boost

5. crafty14lif

Chevy, 28° of total timing, taking out 2° per pound of boost, radiator supports 800 hp, new cap came with it so it's possibly bad but not likely, new 190° thermostat

6. Bad Medicine Racing

How much compression and what fuel? Timing sounds WAY too low to me. Like around 10° too low depending on those two factors.

7. crafty14lif

93 octane and under 9;1

8. Bad Medicine Racing

Most small block Chevy like at least 34° total. I would bump the timing up a little first and see if that helps.

9. crafty14lif

Ok thank you I'll try it

10. B E N

Post up a pic of your bay when you get a chance.

11. Disney Lincoln

Doesn't add up. Says it only gets "overheats" when building boost. I take that to mean he can drive it and not have a problem, but as soon as he leans into it, it spews. Sounds like a blown HG to me.

tbird likes this.
  12. Briansshop

X2