1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Overboosting at upper mph's

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by Scott2001GT, Jul 12, 2012.

1. Scott2001GT

I finally got my Mustang back after a two year turbo/suspension build :stupid: I had the piping re-done so there was a merge for the wastegate(45mm W/G with a 90 degree angle) but the car still saw 14 psi. I have a TurboSmart 45mm wastegate and they said it had a 7psi spring stock. The tuner put a lighter spring in and it's now done to 9psi which is fine but after 125mph the boost goes up to 12 psi....Im not to sure why though.

Stock 4.6 2v engine
    Precision 6768 billet turbo H-cover with a .96AR
    TurboSmart HyperGate wastegate
    E-Boost 2 boost controller
    CG headers, 2.5in piping to turbo
    3in to 3.5in downpipe to SLP LM1 catback
    Edge 3500 stall converter
    3:55 gears

Any help would be great!!

Thanks,

Scotty S.

2. yurg

Possible converter locking putting more load on the engine.

3. Gen1SVE

Post a pic of your wastegate set up. I have has creep issues when I changed the size of my crossover from a 3" to a 2.5". The gate worked fine with the 3" as the velocity was lower. It creeped with the 2.5 and I reconfigured the transition to the gate and it solved the problem.

4. Scott2001GT

I talked to precision and found out its the 90* wg location, but its not bad Inless I go above 125mph

5. tt97cobra

does the vacume line on the wastegate come from manifold or nipple on the turbo, im thinking it is suppose to come from turbo.

6. SlowJoe

Either 1 is ok, if u want a certain true psi use the manifold, reading psi from turbo= a small pressure drop going through the intercooler and long cold side piping.