1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Over fueling,rough idle,white smoke(unburnt fuel

Discussion in 'Advanced Tech Section' started by brewdog, Mar 4, 2018.

1. brewdog

I have a 2003 ford 6.0,new installed parts include:IPR,oil cooler tubo drain tube,sinister ficm,injectors,turbo,blue spring in fuel pressure regulator and also had a banks tuner,pipe and cold air intake.Also anEGR delete.I'm new to the diesel world and have an issue with a rough fluctuating idle and lots of white smoke(fuel).Cold starts not a problem,it occurs after up to temp and after driving 10 to 20 miles when I come to a stop,stop light or whatever.It starts idling up to 1000 down to 350 and pours white smoke,overfueling I've been told,just smells like fuel.IPC is working within parameters.Other than this, truck runs well,Any ideas appreciated

2. TTF/Ken Staff Member

Sounds like one or more failing injectors, 6.0L is known for it especially in cooler weather.

3. brewdog

4. brewdog

It was doing it with the injectors that were in it and we put new in jectors in it and same issue no change

5. TTF/Ken Staff Member

Are you seeing any coolant loss?

6. brewdog

No

7. brewdog

8. brewdog

Coolant isn't dropping at all

9. Mnlx

What is the quality of your parts? Are they Ford/Navistar parts? I would look towards injectors or Ficm, but if you had some better info (via scan tool, or even a tuner) it would help. I work on diesels for a living, and thought I could be happy with a 6.0.... I couldn't get rid of it quick enough... lol.

TTF/Ken likes this.
  10. venom8343

First off, get rid of the Banks Tuner. Our 6.0's don't like anything except an SCT. Then I'd like to see ICP and FICM Volts. I've had my 04 6.0 since 2010 and it's been nothing but great!!

11. TTF/Ken Staff Member

Bully Dog tuners are good too, since they merged with SCT and share the same tune families. Or a custom tune from a custom Bully Dog or SCT dealer.

12. brewdog

Thanks for your response,We put injectors from ford in and a sinister ficm,where I live we lack true diesel mechanics and they don't have the scan tools needed to properly diagnose the problems correctly.I have learned you need exspensive specialized scan equipment to troubleshoot when tuners are installed.Also haven't heard any praise for Banks,its what came with the truck unfortunately

13. brewdog

My mechanic said about the same as you about the banks and preliminary test has shown ICP is a little out of parameters good mechanics are hard to come by around here so of course he's busy,he may have it diagnosed by now just waiting till they can get to it,Thanks for your reply,I think you hit it,Bob

14. 95MustangGT331

a BAFX DLC dongle and torque pro app will go a long way with the powerstroke diag. Not good for startup or missfire, but temp, pressure, voltages its pretty good. Where are you located?

15. brewdog

Prescott,AZ

16. brewdog

Cottonwood,AZ

Tags: