1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Weight distribution

Discussion in 'Suspension, Chassis and Tire Tech' started by 96turbosvt, Dec 10, 2012.

1. 96turbosvt

Ok so im in the begging stages of a twin turbo 96 cobra for mostly strip use with some street. One thing thats been bugging the crap out of me is weight distribution, these cars are already nose heavy and too top it off im going to be running a 5.0 stroker with a cast iron block (04cobra block) Well since im going to be running twins its going too add even more weight to the front of the car and im looking for ways or tricks too distribute the weight a little better. The battery will be i the trunk. Already have a tube kemember and a arms. will be manual brakes and steering and the only acc ill be running are a waterpump and alt. Now im no where near the stages of complete it will take another 9 months or so. But im just looking for some ideas on what i can do too remove or relocate some of that nose weight any ideas?

2. DV19

Well, I'm not a "straight-line" kind of guy so for me, weight balance is critical. If my car is too nose-heavy, it won't turn in a ten-acre field.
    For this reason, that's why I insist on using an aluminum block (good for 1200hp or so). The weight-thing also got me into running the rear-mount turbo system. My intercooler and turbo are all at the back and if you keep your pipes warm and your bends gradual, you won't experience any lag, I don't anyway...

I also have moved my seat, pedals, steering wheel and shifter 14-inches towards the back. Not practical for a street car but mine's a track-only vehicle. Wiring is another place to look. I pulled 30lbs. of un-used wire out of my car. Again track only... But think in terms of making everything more condensed and keep only the things you need.

Bottom line is the only way to get good weight distribution is to move heavy stuff towards the rear of the car or lighten-up everything you can on the front. It's not easy, it takes some time but your thinking the right way. Proper balance is always a good thing...

Good Luck!

3. 99TTGT

street car or race car?

a few things you can do are:

aluminun cold side piping
    aftermarket hood or gut out you oem hood
    front brake kit
    front bumper
    coil over fit
    manual steering
    aluminun seat
    rear seat delete

btw
    depending how far you want to go in a diet,there are other stuff you can do..

you may want to check out:
    https://www.theturboforums.com/thre...r-weight-reduction?highlight=weight reduction

https://www.theturboforums.com/threads/339116-Manual-brakes-conversion

https://www.theturboforums.com/threads/361694-SN95-99-04-full-cage-panels-fabrication

Last edited: Feb 3, 2013