1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

On3 kits, explorer fead

Discussion in 'Newbie and Basic Turbo Tech Forum' started by ummduh, Oct 1, 2020.

1. ummduh

Does anyone have any experience with which on3 kit (hotside specifically) fits the explorer (gt40p) fead the best? Obviously fox vs sn95.

I emailed on3 and they said they've never tried.

I'd like to try to keep a/c and everything, the whole thing is going to be in a 2000 ranger, I really want to keep the explorer fead.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2020
  2. B E N

You will likely need to customize anything you order. You could start with something like an on3 kit, and make it fit but you might end up with a better quality product, with better fitment if you DIY it. Turbo kits are really not difficult, they mostly just take time.

72gts and flyinhillbilly like this.
  3. 91turboterror

I agree with Ben. DIY it . You’ll probably have less money in it too

4. ummduh

I realize customizing will have to happen. I've been looking into this for a while and the on3 seems like a decent cost for what it is.

Honestly my home shop sucks for tools and I'll have to tack stuff at home with my junk mig and take it to work to finish. I'd really like to do as little on the hot side as possible.

If someone can point me in the direction of a hot side that doesn't cost as much as the entire on3 kit... And isn't meant for a promod...

nxcoupe likes this.
  5. Disney Lincoln

You can't have it. It doesn't exist. If you want a low cost turbo kit, you're going to have to build it yourself. I built my first turbo kit with a $90 flux core MIG, a hacksaw, and a vise. You reccon my arms were tired of cutting pipe with a damn hacksaw after finishing a twin turbo kit? Yup. Was I happy I took my 16.8 down to a 11.7 for under $1,000? You bet your sweet ass I was!!!

6. fastspec2

This is borderline poetry.

Pro-SC, flyinhillbilly and nxcoupe like this.
  7. ummduh

LOL, I get it. I'm not going for absolutely the least cost possible. I'm willing to trade money for convenience. To a point. I could probably manage to make my own hotside but I really don't want to. I'm OK with the cost of the on3 kit and modifying it from there. I was just hoping someone on here had tried to fit either on the explorer accessory drive.

8. B E N

If you can weld already take the money you would use to buy the on3 kit, buy a reciprocating saw and a 50 pack of diablo auto dismantling blades. Then get a descent mig, I really like Hobart factory refurb, their factory reconditioned stuff is excellent. I bought mine 20 years ago and it has never hiccupped, its had hundreds of pounds of wire run through it https://www.hobartweldshop.com/reconditioned-welders-plasma-cutters/. Use 409 SS bends to build your hot side, it will be a bunch cheaper than 304 and hold up real well. 409 is a lot easier to cut and clean and you don't need to back purge or solar flux it, just run 309lsi wire and c25 gas. You will get a kit that fits well and a high quality mig for your labor.

This also pays dividends in the future, you will be able to build your own swap mount brackets, do frame mods and reinforcements, build bumpers etc, It is a good investment in hot rodding and bulding the kit will be great practice.

If you insist on buying a turbo kit read this first: https://www.theturboforums.com/threads/why-not-to-use-cheap-304-stainless.336842/

fastspec2 likes this.
  9. ummduh

OK, OK.. You've made your points. I'll forget about the kit.

I have a Lincoln 135 mig (currently no gas) at home but I have a full machine shop at work. Im not what you'd call a proficient welder but I am able to weld.

I guess I'll spend some time finding resources for parts.

Disney Lincoln, fastspec2 and B E N like this.
  10. OkieOverdrive

I'm going through this on an OBS f150. I originally was just gonna get an on3 kit but decided against it. I bought an on3 style hotside (for a mustang) and made it work with minimal modification, ordered a VS turbo and vs denmah coldside kit. Came out cheaper and really other than relocating wastegate its been minimal fab. 20200926_164538.jpg

11. EGFORDGUY

I also recommend just DIY it. I bought my turbo, wastegate, and BOV from on3 and pieced together everything else.
    It will save you money in the end, and will be very rewarding!

12. ummduh

D883F0F9-8634-4C54-B3A9-C5E1C3570EAB.png 807F6B24-2D63-41AC-8947-8234DDCF8100.jpeg 4CABACD1-B25E-455F-BAFA-EEF57F871950.jpeg 2CC57BA7-0B9A-4939-B07B-E0C1F11D8B7F.jpeg D4910681-5264-40BA-9B52-FF9DF0C9541E.jpeg Well, after a lot of mulling about, dread, and apprehension, I started the headers a little bit. Somehow I lucked out and started on the easiest of all of it. #1 & 2 aren't shown where I stopped, but they're out in front of the fead and there's plenty of room. 3 and 4 are going to go up over 1 & 2. I'm just going to y-pipe them 4-2-1. I'm thinking 2 or 2 1/4 to the turbo.

Driver's side is gunna suck hard. I'm trying to keep the a/c.

No idea where the downpipe is going to go. There's no room what so ever.

FYI I started with the patriot down and forward turbo headers to get the flange and stubs.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2022
    Disney Lincoln likes this.
  13. Russell

Looks great! Keep it up. I know the explorer headers are not know to flow well, but did you try them forward facing? (Left of right side, right on left)

14. ummduh

... I wonder how long the upper control arm bushings will put up with this.

Ignore the mess, like I said, it's been sitting for the better part of 3 years. Engine and everything still has to come back out

0AA70A56-D866-4489-82A3-31EF0DFFFE37.jpeg #ad

15. ummduh

Eh, going to try to figure this out instead. A lot more room.

How many primaries can I get away with in a 1.75" pipe? Would it be weird to run 2, 3, &4 into a single 1.75 and then merge it with #1? Or I may be able to get all 4 into it.

2C67613A-23FF-40A6-B858-AC1254287906.jpeg #ad

D3E2DE77-7E17-4E80-99CF-42B2E9706AF7.jpeg #ad

16. B E N

2 per 1.75 seems pretty good, 1.75 primary is big for a turbo 5.0; you could have gotten away with 1 1/2" or 1 3/8" for space. The way you have it set up now looks good to me. Ultimately space dictates, but if you are going to run them all into one log make the log 2", you can step it up after you get the first two cylinders attached.

Keep playing with it, it will come to you.

ummduh likes this.
  17. tbird

Bushings should be fine as long as you keep timing in check. If the headers start glowing it will toast anything meltable within 6-8 inches.

ummduh likes this.
  18. ummduh

That's ultimately the decision I made.

I'm using 1.75" just due to being a cheapskate. The pre-made headers I bought to get pre welded stubs only came in 1.75". And I've got a bunch of different bends due to cutting them all off... Lol.

I was really dreading this project... But now that I shamed myself into digging in, it's not that terrible. Just need patience. And a belt sander. I definitely need a belt sander!

Disney Lincoln likes this.
  19. Russell

I found my self wishing I had a belt sander, never bought one. I did put a flap wheel on the grind and put the grinder in the vice and used it as a disc sander. (Disclaimer, at your own risk)

20. ummduh

Well I talked the wife into buying me a belt sander. Lol. I'm going to give the 4x36 baur version from hazard fraught a whirl. I had a better one picked out but I decided I don't want to wait for shipping. I think it'll be fine. I can't justify the giant one they sell. I'm already out of garage room.

Saved my money to buy tube and junk.. This stuff is pricey. I just had to buy a furnace and a driveway, too. Ouch.

Edit: I've got three grinders out and a dremel lol.. My bench is.... A mess.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2022
    Russell likes this.