1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

On the go variable tuning

Discussion in 'Turbo Diesel Forum' started by Marinhomw, Dec 19, 2020.

1. Marinhomw

Hello,
    I would like to make a future everyday truck and I wanted to know, if I invest in a compound turbo system with and fuel management like fueltech. Can I make a system that maintains horsepower with less fuel and when I want I choose another setting on the system that gives me more horsepower? Like for cruising and trips maintain a low horsepower and when I want I can make high power on the go? I imagine I would need a smaller turbo for low rpm and cruising and a bigger for those high power moments, a fuel and fuel ration management system and a variable wastegate (maybe a eletronic controled).

2. Disney Lincoln

Nope. More air = more fuel. Want to use less fuel? Move less air! Smaller engine, less rpm, smaller camshaft.

3. TTF/Ken Staff Member

This device can limit power and improve fuel economy:

accelator.gif #ad

4. Mnlx

Isn't that what an EBC does? Low or no boost allows high timing, and low bsfc's for decent mileage and driveability. High boost for hp. I don't know how the compounds play into it though, boost at any rpm equals fuel usage as Disney said.

5. B E N

Question is a bit vague, what engine platform are you talking about?

You could use an EBC off of the primary wastegate to do part of what your asking. The fueling will be in the tune, depending on what the EMS is you can run a switch on the dash to change tunes on the fly, or you may have to load tunes with the vehicle off. With proper tuning a compound setup can get great fuel economy at cruise and still make incredible power, you don't have to pour fuel in them to light the turbos like you would with a huge single. But compounds get really complex quickly, if something doesn't work properly it can be tough to diagnose, there is more plumbing involved as well. If your talking about an older truck just fitting a modern turbo design to it can do a lot.

Marinhomw likes this.