1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Old School Pontiac build in progress

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by 7d9ta, Feb 20, 2015.

1. 7d9ta

I thought I would start a thread about my build. I have built N/A, N2O, Roots blown and ATI procharged motors but this is my first turbo build.

Car is a 1979 Trans Am. 10pt cage, 8.50 Cert. mini tubs with 315/60-15 MT radials on 12x15 Weld Wheels. Strange S60 rear with Detroit locker, 3.54 gears, and 35 spline axles. Ladder bars with Afco coil-overs. All steal body with factory glass except for a Glasstek shaker hood. Weight will be about 3700 with me in it when done.

Reverse pattern T400 with a t-brake. Custom convertor by PTC

The motor. Traditional old school Pontiac. 476 CID.
    IAII aftermarket block. 3' mains 4.350 bore
    Scat 4340 4' steel crank
    Scat 6.8 4340 rods
    Solid Roller lifters from Bullet
    Comp Cam Solid Roller
    Lift with 1.65 rockers .571/.565
    Duration @ .015 279/273
    Duration @ .050 242/236
    Lobe separation 112
    SD performance CNC Edelbrock heads with 90 CC chambers. 350 CFM@ .700 lift
    8.0:1 CR
    Port matched North Wind intake
    HP Ultra 950 carb that CSU rebuilt to Blow through
    CSU bonnet
    Garrett GT4718 88 mm turbo. .96 AR exhaust housing
    66mm Precision WG
    Snow meth/water injection with dual 650ml/hr injectors and 2.5 gal tank
    Custom headers. 1 ¾ tubes 2.5 collectors, 2.25 crossover
    Msd 6AL-2 6530 ignition. MSD Dizzy
    Turbosmart Dual stage manual boost controller
    Turbosmart 50mm BOV
    Magna fuel 500 GPH pump with Boost reference regulator
    Star vac pump

Goal is pump gas (93 octane) track car that can handle some street use. About 75% track 25% street. 1000 HP and the ability to go higher. Will be driven in 100 plus degree temps.

Any thoughts on what I have so far?

2. 93weezer

Always loved Pontiacs, in on this. Reminds me of my first car at 16 years old was a 1978 trans am with a 462" poncho motor with ported d ports Ram air lv cam. Definitely a handful for a 16 yr old lol. Everything looks good but that turbine is going to choke that motor the gt5018 would be better suited and up that ar to 1.25

3. flyinhillbilly

I'm a Pontiac guy myself ( although mine is chevy powered ). That sounds like it should haul, pretty impressive list of parts you've got. I'm with weezer on the turbine though.

4. 7d9ta

Thx for the feedback guys. I've been concerned about the exhaust side of this turbo and was curious if anyone would agree. What's a good place to source a new exhaust housing and potentially a better turbo for this build?

5. BlownShovel

in agreement on the turbine restriction

and in for the Poncho build

6. Drac0nic

Neat to see you're sticking with traditional Pontiac power. They're a great engine in terms of serviceability, and were way ahead of their time in that regard. I love mine because it's just so easy to do day to day service stuff on like plugs. I'd love to see your header design when you get it in too.

7. 7d9ta

Thx. I had so many parts for the Pontiac that it was a cheaper build then starting over with an LS. I agree that the ease of servicing it nice.

I bought a set of Headers from a guy on the PontiacZone forums. Aronhk_MD. These pics were sent to me when he was having them built.

tn_2nd_gen_driver_side_turbo_header_installed_top_view_with_V-bands.jpg #ad

tn_2nd_gen_Pass_side_turbo_header_installed_front_straight_on_view_with_V-bands.jpg #ad

tn_2nd_gen_turbo_headers_installed_front_view_straight_on.jpg #ad

8. riceca

Cool old school Pontiac build! Nice!

9. 7d9ta

Figured I would post a few pics.
    I really wanted to keep the shaker on the car. Had to modify the CSU carb hat significantly. but it all fits.

ready to go in.jpg #ad

hat2.jpg #ad

hat3.jpg #ad

10. 7d9ta

Hot side fabrication and down pipe

merge_pipe.jpg #ad

merge2.jpg #ad

wastegate_merge.jpg #ad

11. flyinhillbilly

Looking good! Shakers were the coolest factory scoop
    Ever IMO, glad to see it stay.

12. 7d9ta

Thx. trying hard to keep it looking kind of like a stock TransAm.

Cold side done.

cold1.jpg #ad

cold2.jpg #ad

cold3.jpg #ad

13. BlownShovel

Kudos on keeping the shaker - that radius seems pretty tight.

14. 7d9ta

Thx. Ya its a very tight turn. I used a cast Alum elbow. It keeps the diameter through the turn. Some day I might leave the hood off, borrow a carb hat and try a straight shot and see if I see any gains. But for now I hope this works well enough.

15. Twin Turbo Skylark

Cool project! How much did the poncho headers set you back? I know a guy looking for a set.

16. 7d9ta

I think they were $700 shipped. Not the most economical but they fit very well. The only thing I don't like is they are about 1/16th inch from the rag joint. I am going to replace it with a universal.

17. Porter

Nice build. I love those old pontiac's. Subscribed.

18. DDot690

Nice work!

19. 7d9ta

Went to a buddies shop today to use his lift. I had to modify the ladder bar cross member to allow the exhaust pipes to pass through it. I used two Summit racing drive shaft loops. I'm pretty happy with how it came out. Now to figure out how to get over the rearend.

loaded.jpg #ad

frame mod.jpg #ad

midpipes.jpg #ad

20. M&M Turbochargers

making progress :encouragement: