1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Project Plain Jane

Discussion in 'The Builds Board Hall of Fame Builds' started by vossperformance, Apr 27, 2008.

1. vossperformance

I have another build in here posted
    https://www.theturboforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=66974.0
    It started out as a budget build, and probably went a little further than most would consider a budget build. So I started another. I desided I wanted to save as much money as I could but have a good quality, clean build in the end.
    So here we go.
    Started out with a 4 cylinder coupe. (I always wanted a coupe) Paid $400.
    [​IMG]#ad

2. vossperformance

Once I got it home gave it a tune up and posted the engine and trans for sale in the local paper.
    Ended up sell it for $400 :cheers:
    Purchased a cheap set of Pony's that needed to be painted. And gave the car a good buff, interior clean, and some can paint under the hood.
    [​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

3. vossperformance

Then I just needed to find a 5.0 doner car, found a 88 GT for $800, switched out rear, pulled motor, and trans. Sold the 88 roller for $400 (Car was rough)
    While I was getting the car setup to except the 5.0...pedal cluster, fuel pump, ect. I came accross a deal on the motor, trans, and rear out of a wrecked car. Motor had some edelbrock heads, girdle, injectors, intake, fuel reg, long tubes... trans was a tremec, and rear had 31 spine axles, 3.73, and auburn locker. Sold most the parts off the motor to regain some funds. i.e Headers, intake, injectors, regulator...
    [​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

4. vossperformance

Put the motor together, I went ahead and o-ringed the block, installed heads and such. Decided to save money I would used a ford truck lower (dime a dozen) and build a boxed upper from scratch out of some sheet metal.
    [​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

5. vossperformance

Before I set the motor in I decided to go with K-member and a manual rack to make some extra room. I did how ever keep the stock a-arms, and springs for great ride quality. Then I set the motor in and started the fab work.
    [​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

6. Moodys 97 Vobra

You my friend do a little thing I like to call "Rock" You have some mad skills. Nice build

7. davidjalb

Three things, first of all that custom upper is sick, i hope after so refinement of my automotive skills i can do stuff like this in the future. Second this is the best reason to start a new project:
    I have another build in here posted
    https://www.theturboforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=66974.0
    It started out as a budget build, and probably went a little further than most would consider a budget build. So I started another
    Third i enjoyed your other build and this one so far you have a new reason to do another.

8. vossperformance

Thanks
    I dont have any pictures of the turbo pipe work. I may try to get some up later. I also have not included much detail about the turbo parts I have used. Basicly what ever I could find cheap. Used turbo $425, EBAY 60mm waste gate, EBAY intercooler, 304 stainles headers and exhaust. Headers are some good quality stainless peices I found on ebay, and purchased the 2.5 bends and v-bands off some of the sponsors on this site. I wanted to keep the factory fan for reliable cooling as I will be putting some serious mile on this car. I vowed to my self I would not put any bars in this car, and I would also keep it as quite as I could. (didnt want anything that would keep the wife from cruising with me)
    [​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

9. 99TTGT

looks real nice!
    i love the intake. very nice wels :welder:
    re :scratch: post?

10. vossperformance

Thanks fellas
    I think I do this because I like to inpsire others to think out side the box. I tell people all the time high dollar parts dont make you go fast, they can help, but it is not all about having the latest and greatest. To save I went with a MegaSquirtII, and because I didnt have any kind of factory computer or harness, it really made sense. I was also able to use some 38# 03-04 cobra injectors ($100 new on EBAY) because I had to buy injector plugs any way, and the EV6 style were the same price. These injectors are basicly 42#ers at 40lbs of fuel pressure. Will make plenty of power, for what I am wanting out of this car.
    [​IMG]#ad

I didnt have any previous experiance with the Mega Squirt. It was alot to grasp at first but with some help from the guys at DIYautotune.com it opened my eyes to this awesome box. I wonder if I should keep the Bigstuff3 for the other car or squirt it too. :D MegaSquirt is top of the line stuff and because it is built on an open platform it will never be out of date. I am sure there are guys writing new crazy code right now as you read this. :2thumbs:

11. vossperformance

The car is complete, and drives really good. Not much to hold it on the road, may put some M/T drag radials on the ponys :chacha: I hope to get some videos up soon. I know I went though it real quick so feel free to post any questions, and I will get some more picks up if need be.
    Dream It
    Build It
    Drive It
    [​IMG]#ad

12. culookn

that intake work is sick. how long have you been doing your own fab work

13. vossperformance

Well thats the second intake I have made, I have tried to talk others into letting me make intakes, and turbo kits for them with no success. I guess they want me to experament on my own stuff first. :'(
    Its not a repost, but I did post some sample picks in my 418 W/ twin 70's build.

14. aod92

Nice work, very impressed!

15. mootang

Very nice build!! so what was the total cost?

16. Geddy2112

nice work on the intake box.

17. vader_turbo

Do you want to make me an upper?

18. vossperformance

Stay tuned, as I plan to list a complete breakdown of cost.

19. vossperformance

Here is the basic break down.

-Purchases-
    4 cyl car, motor, and trans $400
    Pony wheels, and tires $100
    5.0 doner parts from wrecked car: complete motor, trans, and rear $1600
    F303 Camshaft $100
    60mm wastegate (ebay) $90
    Intercooler (ebay) $107
    03-04 cobra 39# injectors (ebay) $72
    Used turbo (TMforums) $425
    New head lights and window channels $146 I could have done without
    Mega Squirt, harness, and injector plugs $380
    Alum. tubing kit, head gaskets, oil adapter, other gaskets $260
    Sheet metal for intake $23
    Manual Rack new (ebay) $165
    QA1 k-member new $209
    Steering u-joint $60
    V-bands $75
    Fuel pump 255 $100
    Total purchases $4212

-SOLD-
    4 cyl motor, and trans $400
    Intake, and injectors that came with 5.0 stuff $400
    Long tube headers $125
    Lunati Cam $125
    Total sold $1050

Total $3262

There is some stuff that I did not list that I found for free or already had laying around. Like the truck lower intake, some fuel lines, fuel rails, wires, and so on.
    Once you add in some spray paint, belt, fluids and such I am sure the cost is up closer to $3500.
    I also had help with donations from friends, shop supplies, lift use, alot of little stuff I was missing like shifter boot, windsheild, ect.

I did have alot of time in labor, but thats what makes it fun :welder:

20. 99TTGT

not bad @ all!