1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

2000 dodge neon

Discussion in 'Non-Turbo Tech questions' started by half-fast, Jan 26, 2012.

1. half-fast

put a fuel pump in this slut about a month ago she called back and said her gauge is reading backwards full= empty so i said bring it back and well fix it come inspection time figure the float is going the wrong way or something wires got mixed up who knows

put it up on the lift start draining the tank sure as shit the guage goes to full- drop the tank pull out sending unit everything looks normal hook up the wires move the float and it is def wrong so i switched the wires in the connector in the harness of the pump thinking some chink put it together wrong and it still reads backwards and its still fucked

anybody have some suggestions?

2. Turbohwagon

Strange, never heard of that one before. Try a different pump assembly?

3. PrecisionTurboMustang

Been around neons since the mid 90's and also never heard of this. At this point replace the sending unit.

4. TT_05_Stang

5. half-fast

yah i bought this thing new with sending unit and has a walbro pump- i did re pin the connection for the reostat that the little fingers move on and it did nothing- got pissed and put it back together today since she needed it by the end of the day. and of course the dam gas tank strap bolt stripped out that goes into the frame- ive said it before people that want to be mechanics should be required to come work in the rust belt for awhile before they make the plunge i hate working on rusty shit couldnt even get a dam hose clamp off it was so rusted - rant over thanks for the help guys

6. 86lxnotch

been awhile since i messed with one of those but could you flip the sender over?

7. half-fast

Dam thing lays horizontal in the tank and has a locating tab and theres no way it would fit flipped because of the angle its at- tried even taking the float arm off and seeing if i could get that to operate in reverse but no luck

[​IMG]#ad

8. slowboat

It sounds like the resistor card is ass backwards.

9. half-fast

ya i really wish i still had the old sending unit so i could make sure it was just the pump im freaking out like i fucked up her gauge or something lol

10. slowboat

Been down that road..no fun when you need to keep your customers "happy" and don't have the car long enough to diagnose wtf happened. It's the bullshit that comes with the territory of repair, especially with todays wonderfuly crafted aftermarket parts...lol

11. BreakDancer

Could it be for the wrong year or are they all the same?

12. half-fast

i did it by vin when i put the order in so im pretty sure i didnt fuck that up ha

ya no one thinks about how stressful it is when you have a customers car all fucked up and its 4 oclock and you've got an hour to figure it out and a mechanic that is functionally retarded and parts that are shit haha on a side note i'm so glad my " honors wyotech graduate" mechanic quit on me - guess they dont teach you that if your late for two weeks straight and come in and smell like weed you dont get a raise

13. BreakDancer

Damn your a tyrant. Haha

14. half-fast

Fuck em ha im probably the easiest boss to get along with just do your shit and dont bug me haha

15. BreakDancer

No loss whotech cranks them fuckers out hand over fist.

16. half-fast

ya thats what i hear- and to think i wanted to go there ha ive probably learned more on this site in the last 5 years than i would of there in thier " high performance " classes

17. half-fast

alright fuck this car- brought it back for snow tire change over and i ordered a new pump and sending unit in for it- plug it in and it does the same dam thing what in the holy hell can i do lol

18. BreakDancer

Im starting to think its an issue with the cluster or gauge itself.

19. 86lxnotch

its a chrysler product......