1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Oil Return Gasket

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by T6Rocket, Nov 13, 2018.

1. T6Rocket

I am looking for a good quality oil return gasket that lasts the longest.

When I installed my 6466 5 years ago, I had two gaskets, so I chose the one that was much thicker. Same old story, after 2-3 years, the gasket had shrunk enough to develop a small leak. Not a bad leak, but an irritating leak. Because they shrink, you can get 1/4 turn on the bolts, which helps.

I have been putting this off for a while, because I have to remove several things to get to it. So I am looking for the gasket that lasts the longest. Or, with the heat of the turbo, replacing them every few years is as good as it gets?

I am trying to avoid adding RTV because it's hard to get it all cleaned off years later in that tight spot. And in the past, it helped but it wasn't a cure all.

EDIT: the Turbonetics gasket is supposedly rubber, might give that a try. The issue with those gaskets is the incredible heat that gets transfered from the turbine.

Thanks,
    Al

Last edited: Nov 13, 2018
  2. fastspec2

3. T6Rocket

Thanks, I will have to order one. The difference is my Precision 6466 turbo has a square drain hole. Just comparing the pictures, the flange is a totally different shape.

You have used one on a T4 turbo?

Thanks,
    Al

Last edited: Nov 14, 2018
  4. fastspec2

Yeah. The t4 ones have a square hole and are embossed around it as well.
    At least the ones I have used.

Another thing that works well for me is no gasket and some anarobic sealer between a billet drain flange and the turbo.

5. T6Rocket

Is that the part # that worked for the T4 turbos? There is only that one part #, and it doesn't specify the turbo type.

Thanks again,
    Al

6. fastspec2

Sorry that was just an example of the design I was suggesting. Not sure if it will work on your t4