1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Oil Pressure Dropping at Idle, Engine Warm, 5w-30

Discussion in 'Non-Turbo Tech questions' started by GLXRustang, Jul 6, 2012.

1. GLXRustang

Hello All,
    Here's my problem, when the engine is cool, oil pressure stays high at idle and throughout rpm range, when the engine gets warm the oil pressure drops at idle. Drops down to the O in N O R M A L, at idle, off idle pressure goes up to A. Sorry don't know exact PSI..

My questions:
    Do you run an Oil Cooler? (What size?)
    What oil are you running? (Weight? Brand? Synthetic?)

Running a turbocharged 306 SBF, DIY blow-thru, freshly rebuilt with bearings, rings, pistons, rods, and high volume oil pump. Running Castrol GTX 5W-30 and no oil cooler..

2. Briansshop

It's going to be low with 5w oil. I'm using Mobil 1 15w 50 and oil press is too high, will be switching to something else. No oil cooler on mine.

3. stangman9897

That is normal , when it's cool the oil is thicker and as the oil heats up it thins out and your pressure will go down. My 97 D/D cold at idle is 65 but after it's up to temp it stays at 38 at 900rpm with Mobil 1 5/30 this is a modular. If thats a pushrod i would run 10/30 or 15/40 . JMO

4. GLXRustang

Thanks, looks my choice of 5w-30 is off then. Thinking about switching to Castrol GTX 20w-50 since I only drive in Summer/Spring and temps now are in the 100's.

I'm going to try an oil cooler as well, my turbo is not water cooled, it only relies on engine oil to keep cool

Just wondering what other turbo guys are doing for oil..

5. Turbohwagon

15-40 rotella, and stop using that dumby gauge, it's dumb. Toss a mechanical gauge on the car so you know have some solid numbers to go off of instead of letters.