1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Oil pan gasket lq4 need advise

Discussion in 'Non-Turbo Tech questions' started by half-fast, Dec 5, 2012.

1. half-fast

Ive got a 01 sierra 2500hd and its puking oil out where the two ports go into the pan. Whats the easiest way to drop the pan? pull motor mounts and lift up will that give enough room? drop front pumpkin and leave motor in?

I just put this dam thing in the truck as the last motor spun a bearing- then the dip stick tube broke and the bottom part dropped into the pan so i already had to drop the pan enough to get the piece out and figured the gasket would be ok but its def not

any advise welcome im sick of working on the truck

2. hilly70

The 2 ports that go into the pan? Do you mean the oil cooler lines? The go into the oil cooler adapter that sandwiches between the oil filter and the block.

If you need working room it's possible to "rotate" the front differential down. Disconnect the front driveshaft, break loose the idler arm and pitman arm joints, disconnect the differential engagement connector, then it will rotate down by removing the side and upper mounting bolts.

3. half-fast

ya its puking between the block and the pan not the block off plate for the cooler line- the cooler lines rotted and lost oil pressure and thats what killed the other motor so im just running a block off plate since its just my plow truck and gets 1000 miles a year

so best option is to rotate diff out of way then- kinda what i was thinking since i know for sure if i get that out of the way the pan will easily drop instead of monkey fucking around cranking up on the motor and trying to get pan out without bending or breaking shit

ive got a two post and drive on lift so im thinking ill do it on the two post so shit will have room to rotate out of the way

4. hilly70

I use my air hammer with the pickle fork attachment to break them loose. A lot easier if it's high enough to work on too. I've done a bazillion of those diff's.

5. Turbohwagon

The diff almost falls out of that truck.

6. half-fast

thanks guys thats what i was hoping to hear- dam thing was puking oil for a long time so its like working on a greased pig so it should come out pretty easy just wanted to make sure i wasnt doing someting retarded

7. half-fast

well just to report back on this- everything came apart really easy actually- just couldnt get the right angle to drop the front diff completely but enough to swing it out of the way and get the pan off- seemed like the bar the inner tie rods and pitman arms connect to was in the way of the top from dropping

but after what i saw in the bottom of that pan i have zero faith in this motor lasting- straight greasy sludge in the pan