1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

MSD Boost controller.........who all uses one?

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by Brent Davis, Mar 2, 2010.

1. Brent Davis

I ask because seeing that Wolfe, BD and Job Spetter use this controller and swears by them to the point that the AMS-1000 isn't good enough for them so they use the MSD controller. There has been alot of critics towards the MSD controller because of PID values but I say stop being lazy and figure the shit out. This controller is about $450 cheaper than the AMS-1000 as well. Sure we all know that the AMS-1000 is a great controller and works very well but this MSD unit at $450 less sure does look damn good especially that the worlds fastest drag radial guy(s) use it :corn:

Anyways, who uses one of these successfully?

2. ls1killr

I have a bunch of local buddies that run them...You can find them used for around $250 and I have nothing but good things about them.

Allow you to hook up a laptop and map a graph of the boost curve...also set boost for transbrake and launching.

If you would like to talk to the shop owner that runs this on a bunch of different cars local I can get you his contact information.

Jeremy

3. Brent Davis

Sure Jeremy, that information would be great. I need a start up file that can help a 1500 HP combo out.

4. ls1killr

PM, I3oosted on the board....that is my brother and he probably has a msd start up file on his laptop that he can email you....His car is a making in the 900rwhp range so it probably will be a good start

I will have him check out this thread shortly to chime in as well.

5. wazslow

Brent, you can make it work, just takes alot more trial and error. I think the main reason those guys use it is Spetter can tune the boost controller from home on a laptop and send a file to you. I think these guys should tune there own junk, but thats just me! LOL "The car didnt get down the track, call someone and have them send a file and fix it". Thats not real racing to me...

6. stangboy86

:agree:

7. Brent Davis

Yeah I'm sure I can and know of some guys that indeed have had great success with using theirs. The PID values are what tells the solenoids to increase or decrease at certain speed rates and that is where people get all caught up. Anyways a guy from the 'bullet has a 408 twin 88's making just over 1400 HPat the wheels and said that he uses this controller and got the PID values right after about a 6 month rampage of tuning it. I'll get it done as well.

8. ducatibrian

ams 1000

;)

9. wazslow

Ben (NastyRX) used the msd controller successfully as well. Might want to talk to him about it.

10. turbo hemi

well i've got an ams 1000 and think i'll keep it going to have enough fun setting it and the7531 up :D and i don't have as many rules as the radial cars do i've got 14.5 x32 slicks and can have wheely bars :D

11. Control Freak

The pid values are tuned for the set up that is on the car. If your backpressure is different, compressor wheel is different, cam overlap, intake length ,intercooler size ,crossover or anything else is different you will have to adjust your PID values to optimize the set up. :2thumbs: If you understand PID and like em ...you can do it. Most do not. The ams-1000 uses and proprietary control algorithm that self adjust on the fly. I can put a ams-1000 on 1 car and target 20 on the gate in 3.65 seconds. Put it on another car with a completely different setup and target 20 psi on the gate in 3.65 seocnds and it will do it the first time.

Plenty of choices for controls out there. Use the one that suits your game.

regards,
    Seb

12. Brent Davis

get a running car before suggesting me what to use booiii :lh:

13. wazslow

Hey Brent,

Just keep in mind. All that testing and tuning to figure out those PID values at the track has a cost. Trailering the car, entrance fees, c16...etc. All adds up when your making test hits not getting down the track, price diff between the two controllers might not be as much as you think by the time you get the MSD squared away. Ive used both, and I would pay the extra $$ for the AMS 1000!

14. Brent Davis

No doubt and totally understood but at this point I have way too many high powered car guys that have this controller and have been telling me to keep it and use it. Of course Ben also mentioned sending a file to start with as well as some others.

I forgot to mention that I got this MSD controller "FREE" from a long time friend that had nothing else to spend his money on but buy me a controller :chacha:

I'll NEVER, EVER say that I won't use the AMS-1000 either as I still have my eyes on it but want to see what the AMS-2000 has to offer since it is new and coming out now. :doh:

15. ducatibrian

listen here :bah:
    "mr.1 trip to the track vs 10 to the dyno",you will be about 10 times more likely when at the track to find another racer with an ams1000 than an msd controller. know how you have been to the track on average and the ams is very user friendly-at least to me it is. i say use whatever you got to but just think at the track your are just a pit away from some ams help or seb's cell#. :D

i like the msd's logging but i do not think it is really the end all be all for data. a small notebook goes a long way for that if controller tune-up notes are what you need.

but what do i know... :gives:

16. Brent Davis

LMAO......well I can at LEAST say that I have been to the track AND the DYNO and all within 5 years.............LMAO AGAIN! Now you got some catching up to do :ras: :lh:

Now, I live here in Maryland and "B", there are ALOT of guys that run this controller. Imma run it and see................I am not sure if you read where I got it for "FREE" did you? :doh:

17. ducatibrian

i have been to both as well-put about 50+ passes on the silver car between dallas/brainerd/twigs. dyno'd it too! :drama:

i gotta bust on ya about something...since you don't ever come south but to do a drive by. ;)

i know you got the msd for free, you told me before about it. i just don't want to see you chase your tail on it with the monster your gonna have.at least you got some around with it to lend a hand on the programming. i do not remember seeing 1 at all around here but do see quite a few ams's. my little pea shooters won't know the difference.

i looked and messed with both-i picked the ams1000. it just seems more user friendly on the fly without the need for a laptop.

i know you will get it locked down before long and i would like to make a trip back up there again sometime to check out some of the tracks.

besides-bash away...i been waiting this long for the grey car to get done, whats a little more shit to put in the bag? :doh: :D

18. Brent Davis

Hey "B", while you're at it, get Elton on the road too ;) :bow:.

BTW, I will be in Atlanta Friday afternoon but leave Sunday morning. I am attending a youth football conference since I am a County league coach for my sons football team. It is a requirement so I will be "passing" thru again :chacha:. I just don't have the time to really stop and smell the roses anymore man. In and out kinda thing the past few trips.

19. ducatibrian

there is not enough time in the day to get big e riding,besides which car would i start on 1st? :huh: :welder:

holla at me if you got the time this weekend-i am not working except on the car. might can catch up with ya.

:cheers:

20. nosnova

whats a pid setting and why does it change from one application to another.
    how do you set a pid setting
    thanks