1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Oil dripping from the TB?

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by Unatural, May 8, 2005.

1. Unatural

I have no idea how this is happening, but I'm having oil drip from the bottom of the TB onto the valve cover and if you pull the intake piping off, there will be a little puddle right at the bottom of the blade. There is no oil in the intake tube and the car isn't smoking, but it's just got me completely stumped as to where this is coming from. Also, I have the tube from the valve cover to TB capped off, so it isn't coming in that way. Anybody have this happen to them before?

2. Big Top GT

Could it be the EGR sucking it into the intake?

3. Disney Lincoln

Mayb ebe to carbon seal on the compressor leaking oil into the pipes??

4. Unatural

Where could the EGR suck oil from though?

The carbon seal is what I was thinking originally, but there isn't any oil at all in the intake tubing leading up to the TB. And if it did come from the turbo, it has to come all the way from the driver's side, through the intercooler, and up to the TB. Like I said, I'm totally stumped here.:shrug:

5. fc735

seal leakage will go to the stranges places sometimes. it is more then likely coming from the turbo seals. pull your IC off and look in it, i am willing to bet if you take it off and turn it upside down you will have some oil come out of it. some leakage is inherent in a higher milage turbo and alot of high boost stock setups (a local SRT4 i built has been pooling oil in the hotpipe since it was stock, but there is minimal loss. and its being replaced with a GT450 this winter :D )

how much oil are you loosing?

6. mld54

if your still running a pcv valve, that's probably where it's comming from, I had the same problem, now I still run a pcv valve, but have a Villager brake booster check valve and a accurate machine works breather can in line and no more oil in the throttle body, it works great

7. Unatural

fc735
    This is with a brand new MP 62-1, and no, there isn't any oil in the intake piping anywhere. It's not a lot of oil, but it's just the fact that I'm loosing it period.

mld54
    I was thinking that, but I'm interested in knowing how the oil can come back UP the intake to make it to the TB when the air is constantly going DOWN the intake??? Where did you get that brake booster check valve at? I bought one of the cheap motormite ones, but I don't think it's really stopping much pressure.

8. mld54

got the check valve at a Ford dealer, it's from a late 90's villager

I think the oil coats the inside walls of the intake inlet and the air flow doesn't take all of it down the intake, then after the engine is shut off, the small amount thats left drains into the throttle body, the check valve won't help with the oil, but works very well stopping boost pressure from getting into the crankcase, the can from accurate machine works is what stopped the oil problem

http://www.accmachtech.com/pcvcatchcans.htm