1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

twin turbo v6 thunderbird

Discussion in 'DIY and Junkyard Turbo Tech' started by 89sctbird, Oct 28, 2009.

1. 89sctbird

hell every one i have an 89 thunderbird sc that im buliding it has a 3.8 . it will have max ported heads and a 570 cam wesco pistion dimond cut and scat 6.2 rods forged crank the block is going to be bord 30 over. here is the power adders two 57mm turbos ..
    here are some pics of how its comming a long.. this thing is going to take forever lol..
    heres the headers i bulit

tell me what u think.

2. decipha

looks like the front ends been swapped to a 94+ style and the a ram air hood was thrown in possibly a cervinis?

the headers look ok, the short piece with the 02 sensor looks like it was from the downpipe that you hacked up and welded on

weres the o2 for the other side?

what did you use to sqaure the pipe for the t4 flange?

what size wastegates do you plan on utilizing?

i seen you mounted a front fan, are you going to scrap that with a large intercooler and possibly throw the fan on that?

i own 5 supercoupes, im currently working with a friend of mine on turboing his 90. He;s similar to you but with a single t70 hoping to make 600hp

3. MONTEGOD7SS

Neat build. I kind of always wanted to put a couple of turbos feeding the stock Eaton.

4. 89sctbird

yes i changed the front end to a 95 bumper 95 cobra hood and 97 head lights

the headers are mock up headers i will be sending them off soon to be made by my hommies at a header shop here with stainles steel tubbing

i beat the crap out of the tubing till it fit because they are just mock up headers.. i dont trust the welder i have because the power sourse is not goog in the garage

im hoping to get 450 to 525

5. Drac0nic

Uhh, if you're dropping a pair of 57 trims on there and with race gas it will likely make a "little more" provided you don't lift a head and you have enough flow for them. I would definitely suggest getting a nice set of heads for that much turbo.

6. mustang-junky

If I could have got my hands on a SC V6 I would have loved to turbo it and put it in my mustang. Something different. I like it. To bad the thunderbird is so heavy.

Jess

7. 89sctbird

ya i know.. but i love the body the smooth lines that car was before its time.. im not a small guy so we go good together lol.. mine is 4100 and im going to try some how to make it lose some weight..the head im going to have are going to flow like there i no tomarrow..

8. Racinjason81

cool build ,if i didnt have my mustang Id probably would be doing a single turbo on my SC. good luck

9. decipha

be careful with those heads, they leave a lot to be desired that most head porters try to recoup. Just had a set of heads get trashed by a world renown head porter based out of baton rouge. Be careful, and makes sure the head porter doesn't get too greedy.

also, you can expect the 80lb springs and valve guides to be worn.... just a little heads up.

10. Silky151

Cool project, would like to see pics of the entire car with that front end.

Are those the ebay/china-57s?

11. tt97cobra

Nice job on the headers, they look good man.

12. 89notchback

Thats exactly what I'm doing right now, '91 Supercoupe shortblock, '96 Windstar Splitport heads & intake with a single Holset H1C turbo

89sctbird are you going to convert from single port to splitport?

13. 89sctbird

No I'm not useing the split port injection.. I'm using an early 3.8 carberated high rise intake manifold. That I had coverted to fuel injection. With a chp plunum and an 83 mm tb

14. decipha

:bang:

you've got to be shittin me i never knew there was a carbed intake for the 3.8 in existence let alone a stock intake
    from all my searching i've found that the 3.8 was built as FI.

where can I source one of these 3.8 carbed intakes from?

15. 89notchback

Nice, cant wait to see the pics

16. 89notchback

You can find some carb intakes here

http://www.moranav6racing.com/category.html?CategoryID=2

17. 89sctbird

here are some pic of my intake.. i still have to buy my chp plunum

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

18. 89notchback

Nice intake, how hard was it to convert to FI? Is there a reason you didnt decided to just run a blow-thru carb?

19. 89sctbird

it seamed like the better opition for flow..it lookes like it will flow good with out holding the air .. the more air u get in and out the more hp.. i just want the best airflow i can get

20. 86lxnotch

in all honesty i would have done splitport heads and lower int and did a box upper. i assume from lookin at it that was a 2bbl intake that was chopped and had a 4bbl flange"welded" on