1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

oil drain with low mount turbo

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by taco33150, Jul 29, 2012.

1. taco33150

would having just a drain to a pump be fine to pump back into the oil pan??or would having a reservoir/catch can be needed in between the drain from the turbo and pump needed...? i did a good bit of searching and there is issues that the pump will suck the oil out the turbo with no catch can or it wont suck it out fast enough..not sure which pump to use yet.. either the tilton or turbowerx exa.

2. stangman9897

The best way to do it is to drain the turbo into a sump or reservoir and then pump from it back to the pan, but i had my twins running to the pump and to the pan and didn't have a problem with it sucking the turbos dry but there were 2 not one. With the tank or sump it's best to have a vent on the top so the pump can pull some air and not suck the turbos dry. I have been looking at making some sumps like they show in the book but they would be a tight fit but don't have to be that big to work , just something for the oil to drain into before the pump.

sumps 002.jpg #ad

3. taco33150

I read somewhere to use a aeromotive fuel canister without the filter.. I am thinking of using a oil breather tank with the filter on top already and weld a bung fitting at the bottom and mount it up front next to the pump..Then the breather tank has a vent already..

4. mustang-junky

With the rear mount I did I just added a vent to the turbo oil drain(raised above the turbo to keep the oil from coming out), then to the pump. It worked with no issues.

Jess

5. taco33150

did you make some kind of tee off the turbo to vent>??

6. taco33150

Tilton pump would work?

7. mustang-junky

A "T" in the drain, yes.

Jess

8. taco33150

9. M&M Turbochargers

10. taco33150

ive read alot of info on this and there is alot of options to choose from and the best one would be to get one with a gear drive pump, but if its one with a diaphragm your best bet to keep the longevity is to move it further away from the turbo so the heat from the oil will dissipate.. im not sure which to choose yet..

11. LT1TURBO

I have a turboworx on mine and it is an awsome pump . Its mounted within 12"s of the turbo and I have had 0 problems its been on there 2 years

12. taco33150

Here is an update on what I did.. I bought a $32 pump from harbor freight.. I know I should've bought something a lot better.. Don't judge me I can hear it now.. Well anyway it worked.. I have a -8 from turbo to pump -8 from pump to pan.. It works.. I let idle long enough to burn 5 gallons of fuel and drove it up and down the street.. I wired up a toggle switch that lit up when it's turned on.. This pumP can run dry.. I will see if heat will kill it.. The line to the pump is about 3 ft..

13. stangman9897

So your going to trust your turbo to a $32.00 H/F pump. I do buy some shit from them but would not put anything from them on my car. But thats just me.

14. taco33150

I'm not arguing your point but things do get overpriced.. If this goes tO shit at least I have a light to let me know if it cuts off.. If it does then I will get the rbracing pump ..