1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Oil drain on the opposite side from turbo ok?

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by I6CJ7, Nov 26, 2021.

1. I6CJ7

Long story short, engine is installed and pan is already sealed.. Amc V8

I was going to use the mechanical fuel pump block off plate on the timing housing. On the front of the timing cover, driver side.

Only place the turbo is gonna work is the passenger side, about middle of the engine. It will be mounted high though, as in peaking through the hood. To help let heat out and give me more space underneath for piping, and a good brace.

It's a 16" drop from where the turbo will sit, to the block off plate drain. I have a - 12an fitting to weld on to the plate. Turbo is rough 2.5" ft from the drain. Is that enough grade to drain? Ball bearing turbo, less oil..

The timing cover will never be full of oil. So to me it was the best place as it'll never backup. While off road in the jeep. At any angle. Though because i have less grade than a vertical drop to the pan... Idk

Some have said use a vacuum/magnets while drilling the pan so i don't have to drop it. Then weld it up.. If it was a beater or junkyard LS I'd say sure.

2. Mnlx

As long as it has downward slope the whole way without sharp bends it should be okay, you don't need much drain back with bb's. It's much better to punch a hole through a steel pan with a tapered punch vs drilling. It gives you more thickness for threads, and all you need to do is grease the tap.

I6CJ7 likes this.
  3. I6CJ7

Right on, well that's makes me feel better.

I have a tig machine, wouldn't that be preferable to a threaded fitting?

4. Mnlx

Nothing wrong with threaded, it's simple, and its how many centrifugal chargers return oil.

B E N likes this.