1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

oil coolers

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by sidwaz, Feb 4, 2004.

1. sidwaz

I currently have an oil filter relocator on my car and I also want to incorporate an oil cooler with this system. I am going to use a B&M supercooler, what size lines should I use?...-10 or -8.

Thanks in advance

2. mitchwolos

what size line is going to your relocation kit

3. sidwaz

I am pretty sure they were -10 but i think that was causing my low oil pressure probs, is -8 big enough?

4. mitchwolos

honestly, i would think the hose being too small would give you extra backpressure, causing a higher oil pressure

if your kit came with -10 id use -10 but for what its worth it wouldnt hurt to use -8

sort of like a restrictive pipe would make a supercharger make higher psi number on the boost gauge

how much oil pressure do you have under load at Xrpm

i think 10psi per 1K rpm is the rule of thumb? so 60psi should suffice

5. vegastang

You may want to buy an oil temp gauge first. I did, and discovered that I didn't need an oil cooler.

6. sidwaz

well I already have the cooler so I figured I would throw it on. I'm not sure what the pressure was before, but I do know after driving around for a while my low pressure light would come on at idle and abouve 3500rpm, the sensor was lighting up under 35psi also. I never had problems at the track, just street driving, the oil wouldn't thin out enough after a pass with a cooldown.

I guess I will try using -8 then, do you think I should put the cooler before or after the filter?

7. vegastang

I hope you realize that an oil cooler will probably drop your oil pressure due to the increased pumping demands. If you are getting low oil pressure at idle, it is probably not related to hot oil.

I also had an oil cooler waiting to get installed but I sent it back to Summit after what I saw on the temp gauge. In my case, an oil cooler would have made things worse, since oil prefers to operate withing a certain range, and I was perfectly within the range.

If you have the pressure sender in the turbo feed line that may explain your low readings. I get very low readings, but once I had my turbo kit off, and the pressure went back to perfect. I think it has to do with the turbo drain hose bleeding off some of the pressure that the gauge sees.

8. sidwaz

well it is setup the same as my buddies vortech car and he has no problems. My engine builder said -10 was too large causing the pressure drop.

9. xr8tt

I would have thought bearing clearances etc would affect pressure more, the line size would be more to do with volume...At big clearances/ wear you need volume to maintain pressure...

10. vegastang

Hey, just sharing my experiences. My oil pressure is perfect with the turbo kit off, but when I put the kit on with a pressure sender right before the turbo, I get low oil pressure readings.

If you put the temp guage on, you will be suprised how long it takes for oil to reach optimal operating temp. This was why I didn't want to mess with the cooler. Plus a summit radiator dropped my peak oil temps 20*, and they are perfect now. It takes repeated long highway pulls to get the oil temp to this peak. Regular drag racing won't do it.

11. sidwaz

Yeah well my turbo feed line is -4. I'm not sure how big the vortech ones are but i know they have that tiny nozzle that just mists the gears and bearings. Maybe I should make some sort of restrictor in the feed line???

12. vegastang

I hadn't really thought of changing the feed line. Mine is -4 also. You think the oil pressure is low in the motor too?

13. sidwaz

I am pretty sure the engine is fine, it has less than 1000kms on it. I have my feed line tapped into the oil pressure sender along with my sensor. If the -4 is just spewing oil freely without a restriction the sender would trigger my light which it does after warmup. Therefore I assume that is the problem. I am pulling the motor this weekend and taking the pan off. I should be able to see if there are any problems then

14. xr8tt

Presure drop is common when oil is supplied from oil sender plug.
    Depending on turbo/ bearing type an oil restrictor can be used.I Brazed up line and drilled 1mm [.045] hole in it..