1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Oil cooler restriction question

Discussion in 'Non-Turbo Tech questions' started by Blackbeard, Dec 3, 2013.

1. Blackbeard

On a 454 bbc I'm running the sandwich adaptor that goes between the oil filter, my oil pressure comes from the plug in the block, my question is my oil cooler uses -6 fitting, would this cause my engine to run dry or is -6 (3/8) sufficient? If anyone knows does all the oil run through the sandwich plate, my thought it it only pulls enough to keep pressurized and the majority of oil doesn't all have to pass through the adaptor but I could be wrong

2. Rickracer

I've read through this a couple of times, still not sure what you're asking??? -6 seems a bit small for engine oil though.

3. Blackbeard

im asking if its ok to run 6an lines for my oil cooler ports off the oil filter sandwhich plate.

4. Rickracer

If you're limited to that, I guess it would work, but if you can go up in size, I would. I ran a remote filteron my V8 S10 and a 427 BBC Vega, and on both, I ran -10 hoses. I don't think size is that critical if there's no filter inline though.

5. Blackbeard

ok thank you, do you happen to know on those sandwhich adapters if all the engine oil is forced through the ports or if it just skimms off the passing flow? i think if it all has to go through those lines 6an lines might be a choke point

6. Rickracer

That I don't know.....