1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Oil change interval...filters too

Discussion in 'Non-Turbo Tech questions' started by goatnipples2002, Jul 8, 2011.

1. goatnipples2002

I was talking to a Royal Purple rep and he had some very interesting info that I thought was BS until I started researching. I am going to switch my vehicles because I can go 12,000 miles between changes or double/triple the mileage of conventional oil. Plus all the benefits of RP and how it treats metal. I had been changing the oil in my Stang every 2-3k...now I can go every 6-9k with a proper filter changes. I will do every 12k in my Suburban for sure since it isn't driven as hard. Both vehicles will get frequent filter changes, but oil will get changed every 9-12k for sure.

What do u do or think about this?

2. Disney Lincoln

Do it. We change oil and filter in our fleet cars every 7500, and if we're doing mileage accumulation we do it every 15,000. We use Ester base synthetic oils only.

3. ashford

i work on schwans trucks and 3 years ago they switched to rp and a service interval of 24,000 miles. i wasnt much of a fan of this idea but they did it.after 6 months they lost 2 engines (maybee they were going anyway). but since then havent had any problem with their propane rigs. on the other hand the diesels can't take the soot buildup, i could bottle up their used oil and sell it as inkjet printer refill kits, SERIOUSLY, one drop on a cardboard box spread into a 5 inch spot as dark as a black hole.

4. ThomasWPT

Personally I don't pay as much attention to the mileage as I do to how the oil looks, at least on my turbo car. If the oil looks dirty or burned, I change it. I have way too much money in my car than to worry about the cost of materials for an oil change.

5. PEARL MUSSIN

I used to run synthetic but not anymore for as often as I change my oil in my mustang. I use Rotella and a bottle of Lucas.

Jeremy

6. goatnipples2002

Thanks for the replies...it def gives me something to think about.

7. 302f150

My boss ran full synthetic and just changed filters every 5k miles and topped off the oil. He has 100k+ miles on his truck. I believe 5000-7500 is fine with full synthetic ON CARS WITH PCV SYSTEMS. If you don't have a pcv system you get condensation buildup which gets carried through the engine. I wouldnt put 12000 miles on any oil with a turbo that gets beat on regularly. In my car I change it roughly every 4k miles. Its only like $35 bucks and 30 minutes every couple months with Mobil 1 and a motorcraft filter.

8. tbird

Truely if you want to know how long you can go between oil changes you need to send a sample of the oil into a lab that can analyze the oil to see if it is still doing its job.
    Some will do this with fleet vehicles to determine how much milage they can get away with to save money but not cause premature wear.

9. goatnipples2002

Yeah I was leaning towards that...seems that blackstone charges about 32$ plus the ride.

10. ocshaman

Do a used oil analysis. If you are going to be changing filters, you have a good chance to get a sample, and then you can actually figure out how long it will last, not based on promises by an oil company

11. goatnipples2002

Tis the plan,