1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Oil catch can/breather question. (Drainage)

Discussion in 'Non-Turbo Tech questions' started by Turbohwagon, Jun 1, 2011.

1. Turbohwagon

How often do you guys drain your catch cans, and about how much comes out? Has anyone ever tasted the non-oily stuff that comes out?

I ask because i seriously BLEW a head gasket on my car last season, i replaced them, and now I'm just wondering if it is residual moisture from having a severely blown head gasket or if i have another blown head gasket. I changed the oil and cleaned out the heads/valve covers after i popped them, but i didn't rinse out the crank case breather tanks. The oil is not milky, and it is right at the full mark where i left it.

2. bluchev

bah, its fine! turn it up!

3. boosted chicken

Tasted? Lol! It is normal to have a little condensation form as the hot oil vapor goes into the catch can and cools. I would be worried if there was a couple inches of water in the can though.

P.S. I empty the can on my turbo 4 banger maybe once every few months.

4. Turbohwagon

It tasted sweet.... Which makes me worried. I'm hoping it's just residual junk from when i popped the head gasket.