1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Sbc retrofit roller question

Discussion in 'Advanced Tech Section' started by itbsallday, Aug 6, 2015.

1. itbsallday

Hi. I just installed a howards roller cam .503lift and hydro linkbar retrofit roller lifters with 1.6 roller rockers
    I have a good amount of clicking and taping on cold start up and i was wondering if thats normal.... Cuz after its fully warm. There no clicking but i do hear some mechanical sound like if the hood is open and my ear next to the intake manifold.. but with the hood closed its not really noticable. Im just wandering what others with roller link bars lifter think. I only have a 1/4turn preload then 1/8turn. Turning polly lock and nut at same time.

Anyone think it needs more preload ive taking valve covers off its not hitting

2. Boost Engineer

I think that this post/topic needs to go to a different area but not sure where.

Maybe another mod for this type of question can get it in the correct spot for you to get some good advice.

Tom V.

3. Rickracer

I'm not following this...you want to go down to "0" lash then 1/4 turn, what is the 1/8 turn about?
    Each 1/4 turn is just over .0010" of preload....

4. Mnlx

I think he's talking about after he tightens the set screw, he then torques the whole assembly, getting another 1/8 turn. I've used the same method before.

5. vwdave

The SBC section might get better responses. I would suggest calling Howards and asking them their opinion on the required preload. Most SBC roller setups are 0 lash and 1/2 turn. But definately call them and ask, believe me, they are there to answer almost any stupid questions you have about their products. They want you to have success with their products and will help you out with getting it right.