1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

NOS for and intercooler ?

Discussion in 'Turbocharged Boat and Watercraft Forum' started by Hass828, Feb 16, 2009.

1. Hass828

I race jet boats were there is no problem with traction and can use the power as instantly as possible, My question is this , If you only use the engine to cruise with without making any boost till race time, could you use a small shot of NOS for the inter cooling instead of having to plumb in a huge, expensive, heavy intercooler ? should allow you to run larger exhaust turbin housings without spooling problems which should ultimately be more hp , boost would be almost instant, lighter weight, smaller packaging.This will be on a blowthrough carbed deal.
    I know that adding nos to do away with detonation seems to be a contradiction in terms but I wanted to know what you guys think ? has anyone here done this ? Thanks Hass

2. IMPATIENT 1

your cylinder pressures will get super outtahand hass, i wouldn't do anything but go bigger with the ic :2thumbs: take it out this weekend, make your passes, then let's get to selling that banks stuff :2thumbs: buy your carb ,ic and piping, you've already got everything else :D

3. Hass828

Yea, yea I know , dont go telling me that it cant be done, the new setup is what I was thinking about but if I could get away without the cooler , why not take the one off that I'm using now and do away with the extra 60 or so lbs ? I'd bet that the engine wouldnt know the diff. , hell it might even pick it up a little not having to blow through those two relativly small cores.

4. IMPATIENT 1

your intake temp would know the difference ;) forget about runnin a full timing curve like you've been doin.

5. badbug

why dont u just run alcohol and forget the intercooler if its just for get down and going quick. Or try the gasoline with the water-methanol injection and forget the intercooler. From what i have seen of your posts, i believe you are a good candidate for a mechanical methanol fuel injection system. Like a toilet. I have seen them things shag some good ass. I wouldnt run a alcohol carb with blow thru personally. Just get another boat for mostly ride around fun. That way your never without a boat. Just pick up a cheapie and it will stay running. Thats what i did. I broke down and boat a fun deck and use it when my hot rod boat is down . Then ur never without a ride.

6. Hass828

Are you saying that at 17psi and a 325 shot of nos , that I'm using on my engine now, if I were to do away with the intercooler that I would rattle my engine apart ? I dont think so , Bet I could shave 5-7degree's of timing and fatten it up a little , give it a try then start leaning it back out and watch the tune and plugs, bet I'd wind up close to were I'm at now on timing&fuel.

7. Hass828

Gary,
    Thanks for the reply, I started to do the mech, deal. Thats what I had the bird catcher for, but I think that with the turbo deal that you could have an engine that will cruise around on little or no boost and run on 91 pump gas then when you decide to race have the other tank full of 116 and an nos bottle to boot.My deal now will idle all day at 800rpms , and when you hit it with the boost and nos , it runs pretty good, but like always I'm lookin for more.
    By the way, the retard deal you sold me has worked out great so far, I bought a rev limiter with a window switch from ETC made for a vertex, I operated the retard with the adjustable window switch and it works great. Thanks again. Hass

8. IMPATIENT 1

not argue'n with ya bud, just saying it won't work due to intake air temp, detonation will happen like never before without the cooler and way sooner. wish you had a before and after air temp on your cooler, it'd prove what i'm sayin.low intake temps allow for bigger timing curves(more hp), high intake temps will need less, which robs hp.

9. Hass828

Tom , what I'm trying to tell you is that when the nos is on , if you were to take the IAT below were the nos is injected it would be very cold, probably frost bite your finger if you could get it in there, I dont think that the motor would miss the cooler while the nos is on. And also, more timing doesnt always mean more power, some of these deals make huge power with timing well below 20degrees.

10. IMPATIENT 1

the amount of cold nitrous flowing is almost nill when you lay it next to the hot air/fuel charge flowing thru the intake.if something is 200*f and takes up 1cubic ft., it'll take a cubic foot of -200* to bring us to 0* with perfect 100% transfer right? think about how many cubic ft of hot boost/fuel the motor swallows compared to cubic ft of nitrous gas. the volume to change is just not there no matter how cold the nitrous is. i wouldn't throw 2 gallons of ice into 20gallons of water in my icechest and expect the beer in there to get very cool :cheers: :D

11. Hass828

You've obviously never seen and intake setup with a large nos system on a bench test get the trigger pulled on it. Theres no way anything is gettin through there without being supercooled. I have an older nos book that explains a lot of these principles and also a bunch about nos and alky. I was just going to see if the info in here mirrored it or not.

12. IMPATIENT 1

you forget i flowed my 450hp 2stage several times ;) :D it didn't freeze the fuel in my bowl, noway its gonna do much to hot boost charge at least 10times bigger in volume, and that's the reason noone does more with it than spool up on it.

13. iffy

I think you can use a small shot of NOS for the inter cooling instead of having to plumb in a huge, expensive, heavy intercooler .You must go for it.