1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Blow thru sbc to lsx. Megasquirt options?

Discussion in 'EFI Tuning Questions and Engine Management' started by Davidjz28, Jul 23, 2013.

1. Davidjz28

So I've gotten the lsx fever and been researching quite a bit. I'm switching from a blow through sbc 355, bw s475, pump gas in a 78z28 camaro. Going to run a 6.0 or 5.3 depending on finding a deal, do the basics then throw her in. Still gonna run my s475, 10-15psi, dual walbro 255, 10feed 8 return. What I'm stuck on is which megasquirt???? I have read ALOT and haven't gotten a solid answer on 1,2 or 3. I know their feature difference, but would like real world experience input on which one is most suitable? I like the price on ms1 but is the processor upgrade in ms2 worth the change? And is the x add on for ms3 worth getting ms3? With 1,2 or 3 I've decided on v3.0. My goal here is to run lsx fi, cop ign, and a few outputs (shift light, fuel pumps ect..) so like 5 outputs or so. I also like the SIM card and USB for ms3. I'm a carb guy so have no tuning on fi but quite a few years as a engine and diagnostic mechanic in a independent shop so pretty savvy with electrical. I would also like to switch to e85 once I'm confident with the set up and shoot 700-800hp. Thanks in advance for any help or advice!

2. Matt Cramer

The MS2 does a much better job at running the LS ignition than MS1. MS1 uses only one edge of the 24X crank trigger plus the cam trigger in such a way that any timing chain stretch can throw your timing out by 15 degrees if the cam trigger starts falling in between different teeth. MS2's able to use the tooth length, like a factory LS ECU, so that it's not fooled by timing chain stretch. (If you get a later motor with the 58X wheel, the MS1 can use the missing tooth and doesn't have the same issue - but MS2 is still a lot more accurate.) If you could post a full list of I/O you want, I'll check if you can fit it into an MS2, or if it needs stepping up to MS3.

3. Davidjz28

Thanks! That's the kind if info I'm looking for! As far as I/O I would just have basics goin in such as rpm sig, ect, iat, o2, tps and map. Out I would like fuel pump (2), fan (high/low or 2), shift light, fuel, spark and iac would be cool but not huge concern since its mostly track car. I can also run some those off switches and relays like fans or fuel pump would just be nice to be ms ran. I'm sure once I learn the system ill want to do a few different things with it. I really just want to get the car goin good and switch fuel, turn up the boost and have a system that's suitable for quite a while. Thanks again.

4. Matt Cramer

Ok, this is kind of pushing the limit of what an MS2 can be set up for. The fuel pump output is a standard item. Once it's set up for four spark outputs, there are three outputs left over that can be run in a programmable on/off fashion that you'd have to split among the second stage fuel pump, fans, shift light, and IAC, and the stock IAC takes up two output channels. So you'd need to run a couple of these off external switches or thermal switches for the fans. The MS3 could run all of those with plenty of channels left over.

5. Davidjz28

Ok. The other features I liked was USB which I seen u can add to ms2, and a 2 step for launch and over rev which I'm assuming ms2 will do? Last question I had is on ms2 with USB can you data log on a memory stick and change tunes? The outputs I can adjust to, I have a thermal switch for fans now. For the fp I was just wanting the activation under boost for the secondary but I can run a Hobbs, window or wot switch.

6. Matt Cramer

Yes, you can set up launch control on an extra input.

Only if the memory stick is plugged into your laptop. You can't plug one directly into the MS2.

MS3 adds onboard SD card data logging as well.

Currently, no MS variant has a feature for changing tunes by plugging in an SD card or memory stick; you have to use a laptop or smartphone to load tunes. Some do have table switching features to change fuel, spark, or boost tables (right now, only MS3 has switchable boost tables).

7. Davidjz28

Cool thanks for all the good info! Think that helps alot so ill narrow down between the two the may have some injector questions once I get goin. Thanks again.

8. Matt Cramer

You're welcome. It's what I'm here for. (Well, and to see some awesome turbo projects!)