1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Noob here with a couple of big questions

Discussion in 'Newbie and Basic Turbo Tech Forum' started by SangerDude, Jun 2, 2008.

1. SangerDude

Let me first say this site is awesome! A lot of GREAT info and cool peeps!

I am wanting to build a turbo charged BBC for my boat. I know that a lot will change and some will stay the same. I have a LS-6 block that recently went bad on me (previous owner built it, I bought it with boat, and it turns out there are a few lifter bores that are real rough and the lifters werent working there...). I was leaning toward a single turbo setup with either a dominator or barry grant carb. I was thinking a T70 size turbo, but at the same time I want to be able to run water around it to help keep it cool. (garrett turbo?)...so what rotating assembly would you all recommend? I am thinking about 8.5 or 9.0 to 1 compression? This motor will be turning around 5K rpm pretty regularly. Anyway, that is a start with the questions for now....

Thanks again, I am really liking this site!

Bill

2. 1sicpny

I believe there is a new forum on here for boats. G/L sounds like it will be fun.

3. vader_turbo

t70 of any a/r is too small for a bbc. Go t6 flange. Look into csu for a carb. 8.5 or 9.0 will work in a blowthrough setup. :2thumbs:

4. SangerDude

Thanks guys... I will move it to the boat section, just wanted to post it in noob first since, well I am new to the turbo world

5. Swiftshifter

What's the rest of the combo', heads, intake, valvetrain, etc. Do you have a specific power goal in mind (to plug in for your MPH/prop)? For your rotating assembly, build as many cubes as you can comfortably afford. 477, 482, 496, etc, any of these will run hard. The good thing with a boat app' is, you don't have to spend a mint on headers, use a set of "block hugger" -type, flip 'em and add the requisite flanges. Good luck bro', nice to see somebody who doesn't dream of only the hallowed 8-71 setup on his/her boat.

---==Temio Williams
    Yuba City, CA