1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Noob 2 ignitions

Discussion in 'EFI Tuning Questions and Engine Management' started by jiler115, Apr 10, 2016.

1. jiler115

Looking to start setting up an ignition system and I've done the reading on all the MSD boxes, sounds like the 6AL2 is the way to go. Is there a thread/sticky/article somewhere on here to the basics of setting an ignition system setup? Competley brand new to turbos, but have a basic understanding of ignitions.

And yes I'm well versed in the search button.

2. Matt Cramer

MSD has very detailed instructions on their website. They don't leave much to add to them, really.

3. Disney Lincoln

Well, I for one can't hardly stand to use any MSD products.

What is your setup? What do you need out of an ignition box? 2 step? Boost retard? Programmable timing maps?

4. jiler115

Blow thru twins on a BBC.. Ended up going on MSDs website and printing out the instructions for their 6AL2 programmable box. Surprisingly, they were pretty clear. You know, you're the second person to say they don't like MSD, including the guy that will be dialing in my truck on a dyno. Any reason why?

5. Disney Lincoln

My reason is just my experience. I've had so many MSD boxes and distributors fail on me, I cant even begin to count. They just use crappy parts. Now their 7 series stuff seems much better, and for that I trust it more. For I don't care for any of the 6 series stuff, or dizzys.

6. jiler115

My only qualm is that I just want to be able to get in and drive the truck. I want to be at a red light and jump on the gas without worrying about timing or flipping a switch like the BTM and having to manually do it. Pulling timing by making my own map without spending money on a 7 series that I'll never use its full potential, is a little crazy to me. This truck will maybe see the strip once or twice a year. I'm open to all suggestions, she will never seen over 12psi