1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Self Tuning

Discussion in 'Ford Modular Forum' started by Scott2001GT, Sep 13, 2010.

1. Scott2001GT

Any Mod guys do their own tuning? I work at a tuning shop and I just started about 4 months ago. I want to learn how to tune so I figured I'd start on my own car with the help of my boos if I need it. I will be using a SCT program for the tuning and tuning on a dyno jet.

the car will have

2001 Mustang GT 2v
    Precision 6768 CEA wheel
    42lbs injectors
    GT supercar pump
    20amp BAP
    TurboSmart 45mm WG
    TurboSmart Race Port BOV
    TurboSmart Eboost 2
    bbk 78mm t/b and plenum
    3500 stall
    shift kit
    and 3:55 gears

I am doing to be goin a lot of reading and such but I was just wondering what you guys would suggest on the tuning and such.

I am thinking 12 degrees of timing and a 11.5:1 arf with about 8 psi?

2. Scott2001GT

it will be tuned on 93 octane also

3. blown99

I tuned my set up myself. There is a big learning curve at first. Do a lot of research up front. Understand what you are changing and why. Write the tune yourself and run it, work the bugs out etc. Then ask your boss for pointers. You will learn more by doing it yourself. A 11.5 with 12 degress would be a good conservative start. Be sure to get the injector values for YOUR injectors, disable your adaptives, dial in your MAF and do partial pulls until you are confident with your tune.

4. 99TTGT

We have a tech that use to work for SCT at the shop, his name is Andy.

But our boss tune as well, His name is Travis Franklin<Pro changer champion> :poke:

I play with my own stuff, cuz is a stand alone & is not that bad...

5. Scott2001GT

yeah I am getting a book for my b-day..the 21th of this month. I just read Maximum Boost by Corky Bell. Then I will get a more advanced book after that for tuner. I dont think it will be to awful. I really want to learn it and understand it. I might ask SCT if I can get a base tune to start and work of that but we will see.

I would like 400 to 415 rwhp thru the stall auto. I know numbers are important, esp in an auto car but its just a reference point. I think I could do that with 8 psi.

6. Scott2001GT

no way else? no other suggestions?

the only thing I am wondering about it timing..liek I said I will start low with it but idk how the SCT program is...how much during is there during WOT but at say 3k, 4k, 5K rpms? Or is it just total timing?

7. blown99

You should set your tune based on load. A turbo will make the VE of your engine greater than 100%. Scale all the load tables to 200%. Set your injector high and low slopes and pw min etc. Find a MAF transfer for your MAF meter and load it. Disable your adaptives and begin dialing in your MAF. Make short pulls to 3k rpm. Once that rpm range is dialed in, pull to 3500rpm until your maf curve and timing are dialed in. Continue this procedure until redline. Once you scale your borderline knock table to 200% you will start pulling timing at anything over 100% VE (you will be in boost by this load) Figure to pull 2 degrees of timing for every pound of boost to start with.

8. Scott2001GT

fuck you make it sounds hard to do lol

9. Ed Clark

Do you plan on ONLY tuning your own car or getting into tuning other people's cars once done with your own?

To do it properly it is a little harder with the stock software than most people like to believe. Not always hard when everything is perfect. But the part of knowing and feeling when something is off or "not quite right" and then troubleshooting it is where many tuners get stuck.

If your planning on doing your own only there is a lot of info on the net. But as usual it doesn't always make sense and come in the right order. And of course, IMHO much of it is just plain wrong. :-(

I don't see a Mass Air Meter in your list of supporting mods. Your choice of meters will greatly effect the base tune. Also where you mount that meter and the diameter of tubing/meter will have also have a great effect on the tune as well. Blow-thru in the tubing before the blow-off valve or suck-thru with a recirculating blow-off is a big difference as well.

Because those things can be large variables in the tune, I don't think most "base tunes" you would get from most places will be very accurate and quite possibly misleading for your setup. I also don't think it would be a good "first" car to tune. If it was NA or even a simple Vortech 8 psi on a near stock 2 valve I think you might be able to get through it with a base tune and a little help.

If your into learning for business purposes I'd simply suggest that your boss pay for you to either go to Longwood for training or at a minimum take the online training. Even once you complete all of that there's nothing like experience. Like many things the training is only the foundation and the beginning of the learning process. And finally, no two cars are the same.

Thanks,

Ed

10. Scott2001GT

Thanks Ed.

I know about the re-circ and suck with the BOV. I am going to be using a VMP 05 slot styler in a 3in tune.

I have a lot of people I can call and get help from along with my Boss. I am going to be reading a few books about tuner here really soon so I hope that helps.

11. tt97cobra

I run andersons PMS and it seems simple, i picked up 6 tenths and 6 mph with just reading the plugs for the timming and setting a/f to 11.4 with 18 degrees of timming with 93 octaine 17psi and 9.8 comp.

12. Stzang

What kind of power you make with this?

13. Scott2001GT

thats pricey piece! I have the SCT already though.

14. tt97cobra

it was running 10.0's with around 550-600 hp , but now im putting together a single gt4788 setup, going for high boost and some serious power.