1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

88 mustang, switched to mass air an now car wont start HELP.

Discussion in 'EFI Tuning Questions and Engine Management' started by 88stangbanger, Sep 28, 2009.

1. 88stangbanger

allright so i just swaped my car over to mass air. i used the granitelli mass air harness wich i soldered in to the harness insted of useing their blue clips they came with. im useing a C&L 76mm maf meter that calibrated to 30lb injectors its the factory meter with the C&L houseing. and the CPU is a rebuillt AutoZone unit. now i installed everything like i should but when i try to start it, it just turns over and dosnt start. i know the MAF meter is used and set up for 30LB injectors and im still running the factory 19s but even thought it should start up. i called granatelli an they told me to unplug the MAF sensor and try an start it and that still didnt work. ohh and the CPU is an 89 5.0 auto unit. any help you guys can give me i would appriciate. if you need any more info on my set-up let me know. ohh an yes i did un-plug the MAP sensor hose and pluged the manifold, but left the wire pluged in

2. raysmust

Have you checked for spark and injector pulse? If it does start it will run pig rich with those 19lb injectors and a 30lb calibration.

3. 88stangbanger

i know its getting gas i can smell it in the exshaut. i

4. 88stangbanger

sorry i lost service with my phone on the last post. so ya its getting gas but i havent checked for spark.im going to a junk yard tomarow and gona see if i can find a CPU and mass air meter i can use to see if its those. also gona try an find a electric fan from a contor i belive it is for my car to do away with the clutch style fan but thats a different thread.

5. 95turbomustang

doulbe check your wiring that you relocated, and spliced into. Also did you hook up the pink wire under the seat? It sounds like you got a issue in the wiring

6. slo5o

Do you hear the fuel pump prime when you turn the key on? Does the tach needle move any when cranking? A 30lb meter with 19lb injectors will make it run lean, not rich if Im not mistaken.

7. 88stangbanger

no i didnt run the wire under the seat for the fuel pumps. i whent to radical racing in atco nj an he said hes never hooked those wires an never had a problem. an the cpu is from an 89gt that didnt have cruise control so i dont need to worry about hooking those wires up. an i was tolf that that it would run rich with the mass air (i called granitelli) im gona get a stock used mass air sensor. also i tripple checked the wiring of the harness an all is where it should be according to granitellis instructions. and if your tallking about the wires i hid in the engin bay ( the engin harness) thats fine cause the car run after i did it with the speed density.i heard that the Auto Zone remanufactured CPU are junk so im gona get another one of those. thanks for the help so far. ill go check an make sure the pumps are turning on with the key.

8. slo5o

The wire under the seat is to monitor the fuel pump not turn it on iirc. And you dont have to hook up the cruise control wires, mine arent and the car runs. It also runs regardless if the wires under the seat are hooked up or not. Did you move all the wires in the connector correctly? Does the check engine light cycle when you turn the key on?

9. 88stangbanger

the check engin light dose cycle and i can hear the fuel pump come on when i turn the key.i just tried starting the car with no mass air meter hooked up and it fired up for a second then turned off. i tried again it started for about 3 seconds (real ruff) an turned back off. after that the car would only turn over. i cant make any sence of it...

10. 95turbomustang

now it sounds like you have a problem with your meter. I was always told that the pinke wire under the seat is is a backup for turning on the fuel pump. I would hook it up. try now to change the meter and see what happens

11. 88stangbanger

how ould i go about doing that the insctruction that came with the harness didnt tell me how to hook it up but did come with the extra wires.

12. 95turbomustang

I am going to read off of the insructions that I used when I did this.=
    wires from mass air connector harness
    red wire: VPWR(main power) must be spliced into pin 37 or 57 on the mass-air computer 60-pin connector
    Black wire: PWR GND (main ground) must be spliced into pin 40 or 60 on the mass-air computer 60-pin connector.
    Brown wire: MAF RTN (Signal ground) terminal must be inserted into location 9 on the mass-air computer 60-pin connector.
    Blue wire: MAF (signal) terminal must be inserted into location 50 on the mass-air computer 60-pin connector.

ADDITIONAL WIRES FOR PRE 1989 VEHICLES TO AVOID POOR VEHICLE PERFORMANCE AND EEC ERROR CODES.

fuel pump monitor: pin 19 is the fuel pump running monitor. It goes from pin 19 on the mass air computer connector to the PK/BK wire (splice into this wire-it's the fuel pump HOT(+) wire) under the drivers seat. This wire must be added.
    Vehicle speed sensor wires: Pin 6 is the VSS ground wire. splice this wire to the O/Y wire (-) on the VSS at the back of the transmission. Pin 3 is the VSS hot wire. Splice this wire to the DG/W (+) on the VSS at the back of the transmission. IF PIN 3 AND 6 ALLREADY HAVE TERMINALS INSERTED IN THEM, THEN SKIP THIS STEP.
    also, the following thermactor pump wires must be moved on the mass-air computer connector:
    pin 51 must be moved to pin 38 in the mass-air computrer connector
    pin 11 must be moved to pin 32 in the mass-air computer connector

hope this helps you. This is the instructions I used to convert a 86 to mass air. If all this is done then you have a problem with ecu/ meter.

13. 88stangbanger

thanks ill check in the morning as the instructions are in my car right now an its late. thanks for the help.

14. 88stangbanger

ok today i tried to start it again but didnt have time to check the wires with your directions. this time i kept my foot on the gas the whole time an it started an ran vary ruff an even with the peddle to the floor it wouldnt go bast 1700rpm but if i lifted my foot from the gas at all it would stall...im thinking it the ecm what do you guys think?

15. 95turbomustang

what is your timing and fuel pressure at? was it changed before any of this or was the mass air conversion the only thing changed? It sound like a lean issue. try to play with the fuell pressure to see what happens

16. slo5o

I thnk the mismatched meter/injectors are the big problems not the ecm.

17. 88stangbanger

its a stock fule pressur reg. and the only thing i have changed is the mass air car ran great befor the swap and if i throw the speed density ecm back in the car runs fine again.

18. 95turbomustang

I wouldn't put the old computer back in after changing everything. I would get the correct injectors and or meter before trying to figure anything else out. if you have checked all wiring, then it has to bee the incorrect injectors, or bad meter, or computer. get the injectors correct I don't think you have you a bad computer.

19. 88stangbanger

i think your im gona try an find a stock working mass air to test with when i find out ill let you know.

20. raysmust

I would not expect it to run right with 30lb injectors and the wrong MAF calibration. Do you have the stock 19lb injectors? What is the part number on the PCM?