1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Need help regarding Manual boost controller (Noob)

Discussion in 'Newbie and Basic Turbo Tech Forum' started by tropicalpalmtree, Jul 7, 2021.

1. tropicalpalmtree

Hi everyone, need help. I have just fitted my boost guage and my manual boost controller (turbosmart). Thing is i don't have a clue how it really works, and need help as i'm starting to feel a bit uneasy about messing with it.

I have left the tap all the way open so there is no additional boost at the moment. My car applies stock boost as follows

1st - 8psi
    2nd 8psi
    3rd 11psi
    4th 11psi
    5th 11psi

I've read for hours through forums about my particular car and am told not to take it over 14psi because the conrods and pistons are weak (GEN4 3s-GTE). By upping the boost through the controller, will all gears apply the same amount of boost from then on? Or will the controller slightly increase the pressure of each gear? I want to take it to 13psi, but i am bottling it with being so short of knowledge. I was kind of naive and assumed each gear would be the same psi until i took my car for a spin and they were different.

Thanks

Last edited: Jul 7, 2021
  2. gruntguru

What spring is in the WG? Sounds like your WG is opening at 8 PSI but not big enough to control in the higher gears when the turbo has been working long and hard enough to get the exhaust manifold hot. If that is the case, opening the gate at 11 psi will just give about 11 psi in all gears. Same for 13 psi.

B E N likes this.
  3. tropicalpalmtree

I am really not sure about the wastegate or it's components unfortunately. So you feel that turning the boost up will bring all gear PSI's to the same figure?

4. gruntguru

Yes. Just increase a little at a time.

5. tropicalpalmtree

Ideal! i will try it out tommorow and report back! Thanks for your help!