1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

No boost from a new install turbo

Discussion in 'Newbie and Basic Turbo Tech Forum' started by Jomac, Jul 6, 2021.

1. Jomac

I fired up my GY6 single cylinder engine with a VZ21 turbo fitted and was very disappointed.

I discovered i have exactly ZERO boost coming from the turbo, removing the filter and the outlet and placing my hand near the outlet i couldn't feel anything.

I have a couple of things to check tomorrow. The exhaust manifold gasket is a quick bodge and may be leaking although i cant hear or feel anything in that area. The exhaust silencer is an off the shelf unit and to be honest it seems much quieter than a stock silencer, I'm wondering if there is too much back pressure, i will try again with the baffles removed.

Apart from the above, I'm scratching my head here

2. Mnlx

Are loading the engine in some way? It needs load. Verified that the waste gate is shut, and not leaking?

3. Jomac

Wastegate i disconnected and tried it in both positions, still the same. I did notice oil leaking out of one of the air inlet mounting holes

4. gruntguru

Block the exhaust outlet with your hand. The motor should stop. If it doesn't stop - fix the leak.

As Mnlx said - it needs load. Don't expect boost until the throttle is wide open and the revs are up near half of redline. You will need to ride/drive the machine or put it on a dyno.

5. SpartanSV

Are you running this without a pressurized oil system as mentioned in one of your many other threads? If so, I really think you should slow down and do more research before you break something.

underpsi68 likes this.