1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Turbos and nitrous

Discussion in 'Nitrous, E85, Methanol and Water Injection' started by MORA, Feb 18, 2003.

1. MORA

I want to know benefits, cons, and whatever you know about it.

2. 5.0_George

Pro: with a turbo air is free! while nitrous if ya run out your dead in the water and it costs $$ at every fill up.

Con: the intial cost to buy a turbo kit, while to buy a nitrous kit is fairly cheap.

:tu:

3. 8urls1

um i believe hes asking for benifits of runign nos WITH a turbo..

pro 1-- lower air temp.. the cooling efect nitrous has is considerably more benificial to a turbo charged engine wich will have 140 plus degree intake charge temps there for you usualy see a larger gain in horsepower then you would on a naturaly aspirated car with the same size shot..

I have seen 50 shot wet kits gain 90 rear wheel horses on a turbo car that had a small intercooler and there for high intake charge temps.

cons.. you have to refil it.. and if you run a large amount you need to have some way to remove timeing for the nitrous ..

since most street turbo cars are on the edge of timeing limits and have large amounts of retard already that means you don;t have nearly as much lewayy with timeing.

however a 50 - 100 shot is doable on about any turbo car.. its not uncomond to see the supra guys runing over 28psi and a 100 shot.

4. MORA

hmm, so it is technically safe to do a 50-shot of nitrous on a turbo mustang.

hmm 90hp from a 50 shot, I thought it would be something like that, but you confirmed it.

I read about the RPM window switch people use with nitrous. Can it be used on this application?

I know about the timing, but what about backfires? are they bigger with a turbo car?

What about air/fuel ratio, does change a lot?

5. Kerrdogg

hmm, so it is technically safe to do a 50-shot of nitrous on a turbo mustang.

I imagine it depends on how the car is set up and how much headroom your fuel system has.

hmm 90hp from a 50 shot, I thought it would be something like that, but you confirmed it.

Yup. It's pretty cool, like intercooling the intercooler, large increase in air density which will also increase your boost pressure. If you are going to spray it start by backing down the boost a few lbs.

I read about the RPM window switch people use with nitrous. Can it be used on this application?

Yes, and actually it is always a good idea, stay away from the rev limiter on the gas. One idea would be to launch on the nitrous and allow it to help spool the car and then have it shut off when it is not necessary.

I know about the timing, but what about backfires? are they bigger with a turbo car?

Well the turbo is there to catch the boom which can be a bad thing. I don't think you'll have too many problems spraying a small shot as long as the engine is spinning fast enough when you make the "hit" to use what you are spraying, usually a safe rule of thumb is 3,000 rpm.

What about air/fuel ratio, does change a lot?

Yes, it can. Another reason to slowly step up to the plate so to speak with your tune. Usually the jet combinations are setup on the rich side from the manufacturer but just to be safe take it slow and make sure you have tires that can provide great traction and a wide open area to test in.

6. MORA

a big THANKS.

:D :D :D :tu:

This should go into the archives.!!

7. Snipe656

I think it already is, on the old board.

8. MORA

Loser.

9. Clem Eastwood

wanna-be mexican