1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Next bbc grenade project?????

Discussion in 'LS1, LS2, LS6, LT1, SBC Turbo and other GM Specfic Turbo Tech' started by wild84, Jun 24, 2010.

1. wild84

So now that I am officially hooked on boost, i've been thinking of another street car project. Now as much as I respect and appreciate all the cool builds on here, I'm cheap and like to see how far I can push things :D :D I relate to the guys boosting stock motors, seems funner when I'm not worried about blowin a $6k motor. Anywho, a buddy I work with has a 1974 chevy elcamino 454 t400. Bone stock right down to the quadrajunk and cast manifolds. He's the second owner and has all the paperwork from the original owner. It has 80k miles on it. Said its started and driven around the block a couple times a month, but never drivin on a regular basis. So heres my idea: leave the 454 alone, mount 2 ebay t70's in the bed behind the cab, fuel cell, aremotive a1000, ebay intercooler, aluminum intake, 750 csu (or c&s, or carb shop) shift kit, and give her 10psi. I like the idea of the turbos in the bed, I can keep the a/c (nice to have in vegas) and keep the heat out from under the hood I also think it would look cleaner. 2 1/4 from manifolds to turbo, merge cold pipes into 1 3". He said he's not sure what gears are in it, but it only turns ~2400 @75. I know its an UGLY car...er truck....whatever you'd like to call it, but I think that adds to the cool factor!! I'm thinkin mid 11's on 10psi??? He's only wanting $800 for the whole car.... I think I could squeeze the whole project into $3500.... What do you guys think??

2. Drac0nic

The engine and trans are worth 800 IMO. Nothin ugly about an elky that's a steal. Get it and hop that fucker up. I think having a goal of 3500 is going to be a stretch in a way but at the sam time it will be a stupid nasty engine on a budget.

3. alain

3500 should be doable. Turboing my truck only cost me just over 1000 at the time (about 3,5 years ago).

4. qwikcorty

very interested in how you go, my std 454 rearmount s480 is nearly ready to run again.

5. wild84

I think I'm gunna do it. It'll help keep my mind off some of the other crap in life. I had some time to start thinkin about all the stuff I would need. I come out to about 3300 if I skip havin the carb sent off, and keep the stock converter for now. I was originally looking at the ebay turbos like they use on the bbc grenade impalla (with the internal gates) but the "t70" messure out a little larger, I think they would be better for the more C.I. I'll have to get a set of cheap gates for it, but thats no big deal.