1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Newbie 71 Mustang BBF/TV8101

Discussion in 'Newbie and Basic Turbo Tech Forum' started by 71mach1, Oct 15, 2020.

1. 71mach1

Hello, new to this site. Long time reader first time to post. I am sort of at a cross roads and need your opinions. First let me give you stats on what I have:

BBF 460 stroked to 545 ,d9 block
    Kasse p-51 heads.
    Blue thunder high rise dual plane intake
    Cam is a Howards cam off the shelf, don’t have specs with me while I am posting this.
    5 speed manual TKO 600
    Street driven mostly.
    Pump gas 1050 dominator
    HP don’t know

Had the car done a few years ago and drove it n/a no turbo. It was a fun car to drive. Put a new clutch in and decided to try turbo. I picked up a TV8101 cheap and figured why not. I am looking for about 800-900 hp. It is a blow thru 850 carb. I plan on limiting boost to no more than 12-15 psi, if that sounds right.I gathered a lot of good info on this forum but I have a question. Is the TV8101 going to be worth putting on? I have fabbed up most of the system as money allows, so it’s taking a long time. Am I going to have headaches with this since it is too small? Anyone with experience? It has been sitting so long I am almost to the point of just taking the turbo off and driving it n/a.

5759C5F7-4655-42FA-889D-878256D8F2E2.jpeg #ad

2. 91turboterror

A set of twins might suit an engine with 545 cubes better. A single plane intake is better suited for forced induction.

3. 71mach1

Yeah, I had twin GT45’s(Chinese) but didn’t want to cut up the car too much. Single is easier to package for me. Thanks for your input.

4. B E N

That is a lot of engine and cylinder head for a TV turbo, 2 would work. Your exhaust mass is going to overwhelm most single setups, there are more compact turbos than a GT45 that would suite you for twins.

Cam specs, compression ratio would really help size the turbo. That engine could make 600hp, could make 800. Its hard to guess turbos without the rest of the info.

Looks like you could go to a smaller washer reservoir and have plenty of room for twins.

tbird and 91turboterror like this.
  5. tbird

Yeh that thing N/A should make 700hp easy.
    As said above. A single of that TV will struggle to feed that engine.
    Now consider that if you had turbos that could feed the engine efficiently, and you want 15 psi, your talking 14-1500 hp capable. On low boost this thing is gonna pick up power quick.

6. 71mach1

Compression ratio is 10.5:1. Plane on running E85. Cam is solid fla
    10.5:1 compression and cam specs are lift .614 intake, .640 exhaust. Duration is 254 Intake 260 Exh. All on 108 lobe center. Looks like I will be pulling it off and drive it N/A for now until I can get a bigger single(98mm+) or twins. Thanks for the info guys.