1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Exhaust merge

Discussion in 'Newbie and Basic Turbo Tech Forum' started by 81c10, Jun 19, 2023.

1. 81c10

IMG_0368.jpeg #ad
    Is this merge a restriction? It is 2 1/2 exhaust merged together and then a single 2 1/2 into the t4 flange. Thanks.

2. F4K

I've seen way worse. The gate angle is a much bigger issue possibly, but if it works thats all that matters.

Another thing that occurs to me is the heating, heat spreading, heat of the plumbing. Hot spaghetti. Poor alternator. Poor rad hose. And the downpipe is heating the exhaust manifold- big nono. Hot exhaust expands, the downpipe is a section of cooling gas. If you heat the downpipe with the exhaust manifold THERES your restriction- in the downpipe gas is being expanded and heated when it wants to cool and contract to flow as a pressure drop.

You may be cooking the engine parts, hood, etc... despite the coating. Consider some additional shielding. Wrap works too but I really hate wrap its awful to work with. I would put a double thin wall aluminum shield between the downpipe and exhaust manifold to prevent downpipe heating.

3. B E N

Probably not. How much power are you making?

4. 81c10

475hp and 490 tq at 5000 rpm at the tire on 10lbs of boost

Last edited: Jun 20, 2023
  5. tbird

stock motor?

6. 81c10

355 sbc with Brodix ik180 aluminum heads,9:1 cam is [email protected] 489 lift 114 lobe sep. gt45 “china” turbo and intercooler.

7. tbird

doesnt sound bad to me.
    Where you expecting more?

8. 81c10

1st turbo build. This is pump gas plus pure methanol injection. 10lbs and 24 degrees timing. I would like a lot more but not sure if this setup has reached its potential. Still learning.

9. F4K

Pressure test the intake system by filling the compressor cover with pressure through to the intake manifold to eliminate all leaks. Get a thin aluminum shield between the manifold and downpipe. Consider insulating or shielding the rest of the exhaust if you can.

Then you can turn up the boost to the limitation of the engine or the wastegate starts to give trouble regulating the boost you want. As the exhaust becomes an issue the gate will be more difficult to keep closed and this is an early sign you are nearing the limitation of the exhaust system at some point.