1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Why Do People Use Multiple Roots Style Superchargers at Once?

Discussion in 'Newbie and Basic Turbo Tech Forum' started by TurboSnake281, Dec 19, 2023.

1. TurboSnake281

Why Do People Use Multiple Roots Style Superchargers at Once?

I have always questioned what was the points of doing this that is logical when I see them?

Let me know what you think.

upload_2023-12-19_21-50-27.jpeg #ad

upload_2023-12-19_21-50-53.jpeg #ad

2. TTF/Ken Staff Member

I always thought it was done as a gimmick, and show - not for anything serious.

jbliss15, B E N, bbi_turbos and 2 others like this.
  3. bbi_turbos

For show, it's not efficient or practical at all

TurboSnake281 likes this.
  4. KEVINS

If they were mounted side-by side in parallel that would be different but in series...naaa...
    That show car is even turbo charged..

ks

5. TTF/Ken Staff Member

Imagine how much HP it takes just to idle RPM those things!

silver82GT likes this.
  6. tbird

If all three blowers are identical and pullied the same, they will all move the same air as one. Only because those blower are "displacement" blowers. If say screw blowers where stacked, there would be stacked pressure increases because they are able to compress air in the rotors.

TTF/Ken likes this.
  7. TurboSnake281

The blowers I posted there are compound boosted, not to mention twin turbocharged also… I don’t agree with clogging up a supercharged engines exhaust with a turbo under normal situations. Thinking about the technical aspects to the twin turbo triple compounded positive displacement supercharged carbed engine gives me a headache haha, I still think it’s unique though.

8. gruntguru

At high boost, Roots blowers become very inefficient and it becomes more efficient to compress in stages with multiple Roots in series..

Twin-charging - a turbo in front of a blower - gives you the best of both worlds. The blower supplies boost at low revs and instant throttle response. The turbo offers high compressor efficiency at high revs and higher outright power (no crankshaft drive power)

Disney Lincoln and TurboSnake281 like this.
  9. tbird

I can argue that the above stacked blowers and not compounded. Based on pulley sizes, the bottom two are pullied the same, and the top blower is actually under driven from the bottom two. So the top blower is the controller of all air flow. Im not counting the turbos.

10. gruntguru

Top blower looks different. Must be bigger.