1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

new to turbos need help building ...

Discussion in 'Ford Modular Forum' started by termcobra284, Oct 20, 2018.

1. termcobra284

hi everyone, new to the forums and I am looking to learn more about the turbo world I am a supercharger guy and I dont know much about turbos but I am here to learn what I can with your guys help.... and speaking of which I am in the process of building my 2003 mustang cobra .... I am getting rid of my ported eaton in favor of turbos or a turbo.... with that being said I need advice on a good turbo or twin set up... my current mods are build 8.8, 31 spline posi trutrac with 3:73 gears, .20 over, ported heads, fore L2 return kit sitting and ready, gonna do 1050x IDs or something of that sort... I wanna drive it mostly street and Id prefer a quick spool with something I could turn up to make 1,000 hp or more, and not that I am gonna run it for that power but I want room to grow so Id rather have too much than not enough, thank you guys for any input and I look foward to learning...

2. Mnlx

There's a couple routes you can go.... a big single will take you to 1k, but may be laggier than you want (especially coming from a pd blower) twins will be better spooling, or have you thought about compounding the blower? A decent sized single in front of the blower will get you pd type power low, and can still make 1k.

3. termcobra284

Yea I have consider that option but seems like alot people tell me it's too hard to tune that way... so I wanted to save the pain of compound boost. It's hard enough hooking front 1st in my little ported blower so I dont mind alittle delay as it might help out some. So any turbos you would recommend for me? If I did a billet wheel turbo or something? Thanks for the reply

4. 97stanger

You shouldn't have any problem getting there with a simple 76mm setup with a good side exhaust housing. Really depends what your budget is. I like the simplicity of a single, but your spool time will be better with twins. Check out CG Fabrication

5. termcobra284

I am planning on CG fab hearing good things about them... what size twin ? 55s ? Or a tad bigger?

6. termcobra284

I guess my budget would be around 5,000 on the turbo and cold/hot side stuff..

7. termcobra284

well guys update on the post I bought a used hellion complete kit with a percison 76/75 billet wheel, so guess I am set for the build .. I paid 3,500 for it.... sounded like a good deal so I jumped on it.

8. Briansshop

I'll be following for updates. My son has an 03 Cobra and is doing the same. Hellion kit about 75% installed atm.

9. termcobra284

That's cool right now I am just gathering parts up for the built... wont get it going to spring, let me how ya guys like the design of the kit so far?

10. Briansshop

No complaints so far,no cold side piping installed yet.

11. nxcoupe

I am close to putting a B head 4V with a similar turbo on the dyno here soon. I will let you know how the thing spools and such. It's an auto car, so it will behave a bit differently than a stickshift will.

12. termcobra284

Hey nxcoupe how did the dyno go? Was wondering about ya? I am still working on mine as some parts was missing and hellion takes awhile to get parts

13. nxcoupe

Still working with boost controller in the holley. It spools very quickly. I will know more within the next few weeks.

14. termcobra284

Sweet... so I'm guessing the 76mm does good, what kind of boost controller you running

15. nxcoupe

It's built into the holley efi. I'm using a single 3 port holley solenoid, in open loop. I will be tuning for power once I get boost controllable.

16. termcobra284

Awesome...