1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

New to turbos and need advice

Discussion in 'Newbie and Basic Turbo Tech Forum' started by Just Learnin, Jan 17, 2015.

1. Just Learnin

Awesome site! I have ran n2o in the past but now I am getting back into the game. I want to build a turbo'd Mustang because there are so many I can buy cheap. So I need advice. I am thinking a 3rd gen fox with a 302, or a 4th gen SN95 with a 4.6. I got a lead on a 88mm turbo. Which would be a better platform holding the power without dying on me? I want to run 10 -12 lbs to start and maybe higher later on.

2. Mnlx

Most production 5.0 blocks start to have issues splitting at about 450 rwhp, so if you plan to make the most of a stock block, the 4.6 will hold more hp. A 88mm on either will require some good flowing heads, and some n/a hp to start. A 66-76mm is much better suited to a stock, or mild 5.0, or 2-3v 4.6.

3. Turbo-Box

Agreed. A 5.0 has a pretty stout rotating assembly, but the block is weak. The 4.6 has a decently strong block, but shit pistons and rods. An 88mm turbo will be way too big for either one that is close to stock.

4. 91turboterror

1990-1992 sedans are your best bet for foxbodys ,94-95 if you want a 5.0 99-04 if you want a 4.6 2v. You could always swap in a chevy LS engine. 6.0 is your best bet.