1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Project "head gasket bandit" trans am

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by 84bandit, Aug 31, 2008.

1. 84bandit

Project "head gasket bandit" trans am

Ok so i had to close down my thread on thirdgen.org because some of the local street racers that i want to run against found it, and i didnt want them to see any more progress on the car

anyways

The Car: 1984 trans am, 305 carbed, 700r4, 3.23 gears 78,000 original miles. was a show stopper until i decided to fall asleep and wreck it, and while i was putting the sheet metal on it, I figured i would turbo it, as cheaply as possible.

The setup: Single Garrett t04F, off a 6.6 ford 70 millimeter with a 1.00 exhaust side. Homemade everything. bascially if i didnt have to spend a lot of money i wouldnt. 10psi starting out, then adding until im out of fuel

The Problems(potential): Going vaccum secondary carb. going to see how that works
    mechanical carter pump. again see how that works.
    tuning the oldfashioned way. reading the plugs.

i got crucified for deciding to mount the turbo up high, and having to run a glass hood of some kind. yes i know it can be run down low. but im 17, give me a break :ahah:

btw( the pics with the really ugly car are of the mockup car that i built this on while i drove mine.

2. 84bandit

Re: Project "head gasket bandit" trans am

1. the car, early on.
    2. the turbo
    3. mockup
    4. More mockup
    5. the turbo again
    6. headers
    7. the finished mockup product
    8. running the turbo on the mockup car

3. 84bandit

pics of today

4. Bowtie Guy

The vac secondary can work, I've gone that route, but it's a major pain in the a$$ to make it work right. :bang: :bah: Just buy a double pumper mechanical secondary baseplate, and primary metering block. Remove the secondary pump arm, switch the metering plate for a metering block and walla, mechanical secondarys. If ya have the 3310 series carb, you can even make it a double pumper.
    Mechanical pump.......... again does work, but you will REALLY be limiting the amount of boost you will be able to run. Again just save up for a good inline electric fuel pump, and a Mallory 4309 Fuel Regulator. That'll get ya going.
    I tune by the plug too. Not the greatest, but does work. That and tune by feel, as in no hickups, coughs, etc...
    Good luck with the build :2thumbs:
    Bowtie Guy

5. Chacata

Wow two 305 turbos. I might be adding myself to the club soon. Gonna be watching this. :2thumbs:

6. stock lx

i would use atleast an a1000 pump and a 13202 regulator...x2 on the getting rid of the vac secondary

7. Bowtie Guy

Yea. Mine is working quite nicely right now, Know I don't have any Idea on the power its making (can't find a chassie dyno near me :'( ) but its been taking 8-9 psi of boost for about 4 months now on the stock longblock 305 SBC with ~ 80,000 miles when I put it in (and when I mean stock, the only thing I did was port and polish the heads, and NOTHING else, kinda like the GRENADE ). The 305 SBC do work in stock form, and real good :chacha:
    Bowtie Guy
    PS> Sorry about the temp. hijack 84bandit.

8. 84bandit

its cool. ive got a mechanical secon. carb too, but i figured to try my hand with this first

and im too cheap to buy a aeromotive reg. and pump right now, :D

9. Bowtie Guy

I just bought my Mallory 4309 fuel regulator off :-X ebay :-X and it works just fine. Now on the fuel pump,,,,,,, and inline EFI pump would work just fine. Or if you can do an intank pump, go for the Camaro Iroc Z28 TPI fuel pump and pickup assembly. Know I don't know if it'll interchange with your pickup, but if it does, I'm shure you can pick up a used one pretty cheap. Just a few thoughts.
    Bowtie Guy

10. Chacata

I have one or two things already, i have a MP45 chinese turbo, a 750 doube pumper, some tubing and carb hat and a griffin racing radiator. My engine need a refresh at the least so when i take it down i'm going to see if it's worth refreshing cause if it's too worn out, i'll swap a 350 wich is more suited to the turbo and carb. Good luck :2thumbs:

11. Bowtie Guy

Actually I'm running a 750 DP on my 305 truck. Just gotta tune them for the smaller motor and they work great :2thumbs: Ok the thread hijack function is off................... umm............
    Bowtie Guy

12. 84bandit

hey you can always use the big stuff untill you build the motor you want to :2thumbs:

13. Bowtie Guy

Any changes to the progress 84bandit?
    Bowtie Guy

14. 84bandit

im in school now, so i wont have any updates until saturday. sucks because between cross country and school i got no time for the car. but these updates should be here saturday:

1. oil leak at the turbo. have to make a new mounting plate for oil feed line. other one is too thin. pics saturday
    2. trans cooler lines get fixed.
    3. make the wiring look neater under the hood
    4. 3.5 in downpipe is a little close to the ground need to "massage" it.
    5. ps header leak, need to fix it.
    6. fuel inlet is close to carb hat, this needs to be fixed as well
    7. wiring up the electric fan.

btw the car has an s-10 manual box on it. fit is great.

anybody want any pics of anything specific?

15. 84bandit

bump for the update. wired up my fan today, and got my fuel pump prepped for the boost lines, all i have to do now is install it, and hook up the lines. autofairs (charlotte)this weekend, but im going to skip it to try and get the car done :chacha:

16. 84bandit

couple of updates, got all the leaks fixed, i hope, and got the fuel pump on the car, but im going to have to build a new feed line to the carb, b/c the old one doesnt fit, so thats about all i got done yesterday

17. Bowtie Guy

You still going to try the manual pump? Can ya post up a pic of how you did the boost lines.
    Bowtie Guy

18. 84bandit

yeah, sure ill try and get some today

19. 84bandit

bowtie guy, heres the pics of the fuel pump. today i got the thermostat sending unit relocated and the cooling system finished, and the header notched fixing the last leak in the exhaust, hopefully. the radiator overflow tank is a ford explorer unit, helping to turn this car into even more of a frankenstein beast than it already is

1. switch for fan
    2. setup for mechanical boost referenced fuel pump
    3. pump again
    4. relocated fan and catch can/ radiator overflow

20. 84bandit

ttt with an update

well, i got everything fixed and now it wont start. typical. it looks like either i missed the fuel pump pushrod (even though im SURE that i got it) the fuel pump isnt any good, but it looked ok, or it just needs to be primed really well. im hoping that thats the problem. but anyways, no dragstrip tomorrow nite, looks like the car isnt going anywhere