1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

New motor Break in and tuning

Discussion in 'Ford Modular Forum' started by stangman9897, Sep 14, 2013.

1. stangman9897

Fixing to fire up my new 2V and wondering how do you seat the rings if the car has to be put on the dyno to tune it. I would think get a simple tune and seat the rings and then on the dyno for the tune. They tell me they break them in on the dyno but im not a big believer in this, if it was a track motor I could see it because most likely it will be torn down and freshened after the season but this is my daily driver that I want to last a few years. Im 9K into this thing and don't want blow by or problems with oil in the intake, not a turbo but a blower at 18psi.

2. turbostang500

You need to have some cyl pressure to get the rings to finish size the bore. I wouldn't want positive pressure but it needs some load. As long as the guys working the dyno aren't asshats, it should be fine. Some moderate pulls (like normal on ramp accel or a touch heavier) will seat the rings pretty good. Then shut it down and change the oil before getting into the heavy end of tuning. I have never operated a chassis dyno though, only engine dynos.

3. 99TTGT

https://www.theturboforums.com/thre...-a-new-turbo-engine?highlight=breaking engine

4. punched 281

Nice, I am going to do this procedure in the link.

5. stangman9897

Believe it or not I looked for that article and couldn't find it and I remember posting it. lol

6. 99TTGT

can we change your screen name to OLD MAN.!----------------->J/K