1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Free ps conversion

Discussion in 'Newbie and Basic Turbo Tech Forum' started by Apollo, Aug 27, 2020.

1. Apollo

Hey guy Ive been reading about the free way to convert power steering to manual. Not the electric. Can anyone explain how to do this? Much appreciated.

2. tbird

Only free way I know of doing it free is , remove the pump and lines, get the front wheels off the ground, turn the wheel back and forth to evacuate as much fluid from the gear box as possible, clean up a little bit, set it down and drive it. It will be hard to turn when no moving and it really slow speeds, but as long as your moving it will drive fine.

Apollo likes this.
  3. Apollo

Thanks bro that's exactly what I'm talking about is there anything I should know? Or is it literally just take it off? Lol

4. Apollo

What do I do with the hydraulic lines ? Just remove and plug the holes or somehow loop them?

5. sam51

I've looped them, the box still needs lubrication so if you drain away all the oil there won't be anything to lube the internals of the box. Steering will be really poor at low speed but at normal driving speed it'll be ok.

Apollo likes this.
  6. Apollo

Cool thts what I was thinking did u need any adapters or an adapter to plug into the rack

7. sam51

I had a box not a rack, but the same principle applies for fluid transfer and lubrication, you just need to allow the fluid to go back and forth as you turn the wheel to lube everything, I used hose barbs 3/8 inch if memory serves, and then just used a good rubber hose to connect one side to the other, don't use the cheap hose it'll break down and leave you with a nice little mess to clean up.

Apollo likes this.
  8. Apollo

What's the difference between the box and the rack

9. sam51

rack and pinion vs a steering box mounted to the frame