1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Another oil in the exhaust-stand alone oiling set ups

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by BoostedDenali, Jun 5, 2021.

1. BoostedDenali

Hello all, I have a remote journal bearing turbo setup and drove it for the first time last night. Lots and lots of oil out the exhaust...dripping out. The set up is 5 quarts of oil in a 7 quart unbaffled tank. -10 feed to an turbowerx scavenger pump. Out of the pump into split -4 feed lines. Drains are -10 back to tank. I put 10/40 standard oil in it. Any thoughts?

2. Mnlx

Is the tank vented? Do the drains run downhill to the tank? What pressure does it make on the feed? Any check valves in the feeds?

3. BoostedDenali

The tank is vented. The drains are down hill. The feed is 40 psi on the gauge. No check valves.

4. Mnlx

Doesn't sound like a bad setup as long as the vent is large enough. What turbos? You could drop the feed psi to 30psi to see if that helps. 30 is typically enough.

5. BoostedDenali

My thought is maybe oil sloshing or foaming could be causing a drain issue in the tank. Also, is how hot can the oil get with no cooler in line?

6. Mnlx

As long as it enters the tank above the oil level it shouldn't cause an issue. I'm assuming it enters the top though, not on the front or back. The oil can be 250-260 before I'd get too worried. Closer to 200 would be better though.

7. Mnlx

I've run some pretty small oil reservoirs on stand alone systems without issues, but only a single turbo. It's possible it's causing an issue if the tank is shallow.

8. BoostedDenali

IMG_20210605_200108909.jpg #ad

IMG_20210605_200115129.jpg #ad

IMG_20210605_200051754.jpg #ad

IMG_20210605_200102162.jpg #ad

IMG_20210605_200036804.jpg #ad

IMG_20210605_200043000_HDR.jpg #ad

9. Mnlx

The majority of your return is horizontal, not the greatest deal. Use 45's if you can, and ditch the an fittings for regular barbed fittings if possible. Also, how far below the bottom of the drain is the oil level? Maybe try less oil, and see if it helps.

10. BoostedDenali

Thanks. I'll see what I can refigure. I'll check the oil level as well.

11. tbird

Cant tell by the pics, but the oil must drain above oil level. If it drains below oil leve the air will trap and inhibit flow in gravity feed situations. You might consider using another pump to draw and return the oil to the tank. Would be easier than moving turbos higher to get good drain back.

BoostedDenali likes this.
  12. sam51

you may want to go larger diameter drain out of the turbo and ditch that 90, I had a 90 on 10 an drain hose and it caused oil to get into the turbo, i swapped to 12 an and a straight out the bottom drain to my return pump and have no more issues.

B E N and BoostedDenali like this.
  13. BoostedDenali

I ordered 45s today.

14. sam51

straight would be best but 45 should work to, 90 allows oil to build back into the turbo and causes a mess, at lest thats my expierence.

15. BoostedDenali

I appreciate you thoughts. 45s will work without much other changes, but I'll go with straights if they don't work.

16. Mnlx

Straight would be fine too as long as it doesn't add to the horizontal section entering the tank. You don't have many options with the placement of things.

17. Disney Lincoln

It looks like you would gain a lot of room if you could lose that extension coming out of the drain.

18. BoostedDenali

Since the extension is straight down, not sure why it's an issue. Maybe I'll go to a short one and I'll get a better overall angle‍♂️

19. Mnlx

That is why I mentioned ditching the an fittings and going right to a 45. Gives you more room for slope.

B E N and BoostedDenali like this.
  20. Disney Lincoln

BEcause you can't start the run over to the can until you're at the bottom of the extension. Without the extension you could start the line to the can sooner. Draw a triangle.

B E N likes this.