1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

NEW from SDCE: The Fuel Tool

Discussion in 'Carbination Lounge' started by sdce, Jul 28, 2008.

1. sdce

Day in and day out we field phone calls from people looking for help tuning their blow-thru carburetor.

Our newest innovation, the SDCE Fuel Tool, was designed for those looking for a new way to tune.

The SDCE Fuel Tool could cut your tuning time in half by offering the ease of EFI tuning for your carburetor.
    Our new device adds extra fuel to your curve EXACTLY where you need it...under both boost and vacuum.
    Another advantage to our Fuel Tool is it will work for both blow-thru carbs and EFI.

We also have a PUMPLESS methanol kit based on the same technology of our SDCE Fuel Tool, and an SDCE combo controller that can control fuel and methanol with their own injectors and fuel tables.

There are some carb mods required which we can do for you (must send in carburetor), or we can provide you with instructions to do it yourself.

Below you will find our Fuel Tool product brochure with more information and pictures.
    For more info or if you have any questions on any of these products, please pm me or call me at 401-826-4400.

Video of the Fuel Tool in action:

Fuel Toolside1.jpg #ad

Fuel Toolside2.jpg #ad

2. blown385

Cool idea ..........but a little pricey .

Couldn't you do the same thing with a nitrous spray bar plate and a fuel solenoid ?

With no Carb mods.

I guess you would need a box with a boost/vacuum switch like the Digi 7 or something similar though .

3. wazslow

4. furchaser

Interesting idea :hmm:,, But.. Isn't this tool just masking a deeper problem ? :huh:
    Ron

5. brianj5600

How much $$$$?

6. furchaser

$495.00

7. brianj5600

That would go a long ways toward a MS if I wanted a computer fo fuel my car!

8. sdce

That is a simple way of doing it, but in that scenario you have little to no control over how much is sprayed and when. With our setup you can tune it just like a FI setup at each cell site, plus it can work in vaccum to straighten out any drivability issues....how often does someone come on here saying they can make the fuel right under WOT but not part throttle or vice-versa?

Can the carb be made to work in just about all situations? Absolutly, we...along with all of you guys have been doing that for a LONG time. This product is for the guy who either isn't as proficient with carburetor tuning, or just doesn't want to spend the time fiddling with it. What if your motor has no signal, or the rings get hurt? The will be NO WAY to get the fuel out of the carb by conventional means; the Fuel Tool doesn't care how much air is being moved...when it sees boost there will be fuel.

As far as the price...as with most of our in-house designed products...we don't make alot of money on it. Parts like this are a result of trying to make our lives easier, we aren't a parts company; we're a speed shop that builds and races this stuff everyday. If we find a way of making our lives easier, we share it with you guys. :) If we could make it cheaper we would, but right now that price JUST covers our parts costs and labor time to modify and assemble the parts. The carb kit starts at $525, the $495 is for the EFI kit with no fuel pump.

Yes it would, but this isn't for the guy who wants to go that route, its for the customer who wants to stay with the carb, but doesn't want the headaches we deal with all the time.

9. blown385

Actually with the Digi 7 , the boost switch will also work in vacuum , and the amount of fuel could be adjusted with jets .

But.............. you would only be able to set it to one parameter . So if you needed extra fuel to come on at 5" vacuum and off at 2" then come back on at 8psi it wouldnt work .

With your system , can it be set to add fuel at more than one spot ?

How do you control how much is sprayed ?

Do you vary the speed of the pump ? Or use different jets ?

Do you use a combination PSI switch / pump controller?

Sorry about all the questions . I'm just curious about how it works .

10. jim wingo

in the pic it looks like the fuel line is screwed into the sec bowl, where the level screw goes-does it just enrich the sec side?

11. sdce

As I said, it is a cell table. Look at the screenshot of the tuning software, you can leave everything zeros except for one specific RPM/MAP site and there will only be fuel sprayed there. There are no jets, and no pump control, the system is pulse-modulated, so it is much more accurate. There is no "pressure switch" per-say, but yes, the pressure sensor, pump relay, and injector driver are all enclosed in the control box.

Nope, it goes into the drywell in the center of the carburetor; a spray nozzle is tapped into the baseplate, and the well is partially filled. The fuel is sprayed from under the throttle blades, primary and secondary circuits are unnafected.

12. Stroked-Z

I see this "tool" being a comprimising factor in many of the future hat-explosions to come....start wearing your hardhats at the track guys! :angel:

-Carm

13. sdce

Honestly dude....grow up. Trying to get your diggs in before the mods delete your pointless posts again? Tell me.....how is this going to make the hat explode? How can it induce a backfire for that matter? If you want to throw shit at least back it up with some kind of intellegence or thought.

14. rdakota340

i wish i had some money to try one on our hemi dart we are working on.

15. Stroked-Z

ROFL....im very grown up....and why would the mods delete my points, or have you been squeeling everytime i post :D I love reminding people of how you stiffed the guy after he blew up that hat of yours, and you blamed it on being a "Race part" with no warranty.

As far as how its going to make your hat explode....when that system fails & the car runs lean, it will backfire exploding pots & pans everywhere aka your hat. When it does this AGAIN, it will be blamed on "poor tuning" etc like it was last time, and you will walk away leaving your customer with a pile of junk, AGAIN.

-Carm

16. sdce

I'm not turning this post into a pissing match like you have turned every other one into; but I will address your concerns...

The electronics and mechanical parts we use are OEM quality, tested for constant use for tens of thousands of miles. We only use them under full power, so that is 1/100th of their usual usage.

A little further on this...

N20 Solinoids weren't meant to be used with pulse modulation...it can be done, but the guys who do it rebuild the solinoids several times per season. How many melted pistons and shattered intakes have you seen because a N20 solinoid stuck open or a fuel solinoid stuck closed?? Also, the spray bar gives poor fuel distribution which is part of the issue we are trying to solve with this piece. Our nozzle is in the center of the intake with a 120* fine mist spray pattern that gives even fuel to all the runners.

This mist pattern also acts to cool the intake charge; our V8 Grand National with 16psi from a GT42 turbo (non-intercooled) making 640rwhp/600rwftlbs has intake temps under the throttle blades of 110*. Sure it can't touch a water-air intercooler, but it's amazing for what we are working with.

17. Stroked-Z

Not starting a pissing match at all, im just being informative to the public :doh:

If your willing to spend time tailoring a fuel curve delivered with your system, then surely you can spend time ADJUSTING THE CARBURATOR PROPERLY.

But hey, some people buy "tornado" air filter systems as well.....

-Carm

18. Slim

Sounds like it's for a guy who really likes to fine tune drive-ability & tinker with stuff. Remember guys, the products that SDCE markets are not necessarily for racers. Or maybe I should say, I don't see the value in the this product for me or anyone I know that Drag Races a Street / Strip car that's Blow thru, after all we are on the Blo Thru board. I would prefer to concentrate on getting my carb tuned correctly. JMO

19. sdce

It is NOT a matter of having a "properly" tuned carburetor....its about fixing the shortcommings of the carburetor itself! If the carburetor were perfect, or could be made perfect....wouldnt' brand new cars still come with them? Don't get me wrong, we LOVE carbs (especially Q-jets), and I understand that alot of guys want to have only the carburetor supply their fuel and that is GREAT! But there is still power and drivability left on the table with JUST a carburetor.

What about when your motor has poor signal and you need 95 jets all around and blocked off hsab's to make something resembling a safe fuel curve? (A customer I just delt with). No carb adjusting in the world will fix that issue. Hell, with our tool you can run a carburetor that is too big for the motor with NO signal so you get all the cfm you need without having to worry about carb signal to pull fuel out as it is added regardless of airflow.

Regardless, carburetors are linear devices, and combustion engines are non-linear; 99.9% of the time you can never get a perfect fuel curve as a result of this. Even see a 3D Fuel map from a FI car? It isn't just a straight line, there are peaks and dips everywhere....how is a carburetor going to replicate that? With the Fuel Tool you can tune out all the little idiosyncracies that arise with the precision of EFI.

We have been building blow-through carbs for 15yrs...sometimes engines just CAN NOT have a perfectly flat curve (well within .5 ratio from 3000 to 6500)

We have an engine on the dyno right now (see below attachment for dyno graph with A/F curve). How do you fix that mechanically? When a curve is different in the middle than it is on the ends, or vice-versa...you can't! After tweaking that with the Fuel tool we picked up 20 ft/lbs in the low end just by flattening out the curve. How is this tool NOT for racers???

Most of us are turbo guys here.....

When you are in a low gear it takes a while to make full boost.....say 5psi at 3000 rpm and 15psi at 4500rpm. Now get on the highway and put it in 4th gear at 2500rpm...guess what? you now have 15psi at 3000rpm. How is the carburetor going to compensate for that? It can't.

Here is a quick video I just made with some footage of the Fuel Tool working from underneath:

011708.JPG #ad

20. furchaser