1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

New drag radial blow-through car out making test hits...

Discussion in 'Carbination Lounge' started by TurboComet, Dec 13, 2009.

1. TurboComet

This Camaro belongs to a friend of mine, and it's just so flippin' awesome that I thought you guys might like to see some pics. The car is owned and built by Rick Webb. It's a 7.50-cert. mild steel car with ladder bars and a set of 295 M/T radials. The engine is a 540 BBC with Pro Topline 360cc heads, Super Victor intake, CSU Dominator w/PCI bowls, EV Pro Series bonnet, and an F3R with a Supercharger Store gear drive. The fuel system consists of a front-mounted fuel cell, Aeromotive belt-driven fuel pump, Aeromotive 13202 regulator, and C-16 fuel. Ignition is all MSD with a 7531 programmable box, Pro Power HVC II coil, and crank trigger. There's a large air-to-water intercooler mounted in the passenger seat. The drivetrain consists of a Powerglide and 9" rear, but I'm not sure of converter or gear ratio specs. I think race weight is somewhere in the 3,400-3,600 pound range, but not 100% sure exactly where in that range. One unique feature that I thought was of particular interest is that there is no radiator in the car. Instead, Rick installed an additional large water cell and pump in the trunk of the car next to the intercooler water cell and pump, which serves to cool the engine. It seems to work well and hasn't displayed any temperature control issues so far.

Rick had the car out this weekend making some 1/8-mile hits at the AZ Grudge Racing 1/8 mile shootout. The car was running 5.20's with very conservative tuning and driving. I don't know where they had the boost set or AFR's, but I do know they were leaving with 3 degrees of timing and only had 12 degrees in it at the top of the pass to keep from overpowering the track. They tried more timing, which the engine really liked, and the track really did not. The weather was decent, but the track was cold and prep was so-so. Anyway, here's the pics. Sorry for the crappy quality... it was with a camera phone.

camaro1.jpg #ad

camaro2.jpg #ad

camaro3.jpg #ad

camaro4.jpg #ad

camaro7.jpg #ad

camaro8.jpg #ad

camaro9.jpg #ad

camaro10.jpg #ad

camaro11.jpg #ad

camaro12.jpg #ad

camaro13.jpg #ad

camaro14.jpg #ad

camaro15.jpg #ad

camaro16.jpg #ad

camaro17.jpg #ad

2. Slim

3 Degrees of timing off the transbrake?? Wow, didn't think a car would even leave like that. 5.20's is moving out; especially at 3600 lbs. Good Job

3. TurboComet

I was a bit surprised by that myself. I asked him three times to make sure I was hearing him correctly. I think they're staging with normal timing in the mid-to-high 20 degree range and probably taking a bunch out at the hit with the 7531 box to help control traction. The tracks around here can be kind of marginal for big h.p. drag radial cars.

I can't believe how much air the F3R moves. With the bonnet off, you can hit the throttle and it's like having a massive fan blowing on you. When the car is in the burnout box you can actually hear the air rushing out of the bypass valves over the noise of the exhaust, even with the engine at full song. Procharger builds a pretty amazing piece of equipment.

4. Pontiac4ever

5. bgjohnson

I dig no radiator.

Neat race car he built, any tracks that will hold the power he's putting down?

6. TurboComet

SIR in Tucson might have a chance at holding the power with really good track prep. Vegas would hold the power for sure, which is where he'll probably take the car once he's ready to really start leaning on it.